Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

down hill shock?

519 views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Mwehahaha 
#1 ·
Hello, everyone please dont kil me for this question....

witch shock is better for DH

1. Fox DHX 5.0
0r
2. Fox DHX

i want to get the DHX 5.0 but my friend tells me that the coil one is better. im kinda new to downhill riding so i dont know what to get.

sorry for the double post.

#2 ·
You mean... DHX Air vs DHX Coil?
The DHX Air has no mid-range stroke support... So, it kinda eats travel really fast.
The Air shock is also progressive, versus the DHX coils' linear.
Basically, the DHX Coil blows away the DHX Air, in almost all tests.
But if you really wanted an air shock, look into the Manitou ISX-6 Evolver with Intristic Damping. It's the best downhill air shock on the market, as of now.

#3 ·
The Fox DHX 5.0 is either coil or air. That said, your body weight and riding style should dictate what shock you get. Heavy set, hard freeriding, long long rough runs = coil. Lighter rider, lighter riding, etc.. go for the air.

#7 ·
im upgrading my old giant VT 2 my friend got into DH and i thought i would join him. so far i have bought some manitou 170mm shermans, oversized stem+handlebar kit and some bomshell fatdaddy wheels. im looking to upgrade my rear shock from the stock manitou swinger 3 way SPV. this is a great forum wish i had found it before i bought the other stuff to get some quaility info.

so far im thinking of getting either

1. manitou isx
2. fox dhx 5.0 coil

im leaning more towards the coil one since im 6' 2" around 190 - 200

#8 ·
The one great thing about the air shocks is... You can carry the shock pump and adjust the PSI on the fly. But, same goes with the coil, just dial up the compression and you're fine.. But hey, whatever floats your boat.
Also, like trailadvent said, the Roco and Roco TST are both very nice Marzocchi shocks.

I would also look into upgrading the 170 shermans. I have heard some horror stories about the Sherman Sliders... The Travis' are nice though.

But, forks aside, the rear shock is basically what YOU want. If you want light, go with the Evolver. If you want the all around great performance, but don't mind weight, go with the DHX, or Roco.

#9 ·
Not to be an ass, but that sounds like an awfully big fork for a VT. Please please say that it is at least the Sherman Slider. If you got yourself a Sherman Breakout, it won't fit. Even if it is a Slider, it's too much fork for that bike. It's going to be all raked out and ride like crap. Your money would be better spent on a real DH/FR frame. Save your pennies, comb the classifieds. You'll come up with somthing good.

#11 ·
A 170 mm fork is more than you would ever want for that bike. It would really screw up your handling and might rip the headtube off after a while.
If you're a light rider and are easy on the bike (abuse wise) you might be able to get away with the VT for FR (but don't put a 170 fork on it), if you are heavier/more agressive/less experienced I would sell the VT and pop for a dedicated FR bike.

#12 ·
KoG said:
im upgrading my old giant VT 2 my friend got into DH and i thought i would join him. so far i have bought some manitou 170mm shermans, oversized stem+handlebar kit and some bomshell fatdaddy wheels. im looking to upgrade my rear shock from the stock manitou swinger 3 way SPV. this is a great forum wish i had found it before i bought the other stuff to get some quaility info.

so far im thinking of getting either

1. manitou isx
2. fox dhx 5.0 coil

im leaning more towards the coil one since im 6' 2" around 190 - 200
Those shocks are around $4-500, for the money you should get a used frame with a shock. The fork you have is NOT SAFE to put on the VT frame.

Or just sell everything you bought, sell the VT, and get a freeride bike.

#16 ·
KoG that would work fine. They just came out with that frame, and everyone is anxious to see how it performs, cause it looks to be an awesome frame :thumbsup:
Just make sure your BB and Headset are removable, and compatable with that frame, and you're set to go!

Edit:
NVM it comes with a headset... What are you waiting for!? Order that!

#18 ·
KoG said:
yea sorry i ment the air vs the coil. so far my friend is right =( hes not gonna let me live this one down for awhile. i just thought since it was more expensive it was better =). thanks for the info ill be gettig the coil DHX.
definately the coil...that is what you want for DH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.