Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Which is a better choice?

Z1 Sport RV or Sherman Flick?

2K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Raptordude 
#1 ·
Thesa are a couple of forks I am thinking about buying:

2005 Manitou Sherman Flick $269
2007 Marzocchi Z1 Sport RV $325

(I am looking for a freeride fork with 150-170mm travel. Normally I would go with the Marzocchi, but I am relatively unfamiliar with the Manitou. I am on a budget, otherwise my list would look different, lol. Both forks are new.)

#4 ·
Hmmmmm, normally I wouldn't even give Manitou a chance. But considering the reviews...

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/2005_front_shocks/product_124413.shtml

...I think the Sherman should have a chance. Considering the price and the reviews, I hate to say this, but I'd go with the Manitou.

The Zoke's reviews are even better, but there's only four...

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/2007_forks/product_128214.shtml

Go with Marzocchi if you've had good experience with them.

EDIT: I clicked the wrong voting option...I meant to click Manitou, but I hit Marzocchi...:rolleyes:

Tim

#6 ·
I like the Flick, its pretty good for such a cheap fork.

But note that it bottoms out like none other and is really soft. If you weigh less than 180 lbs than you shouldn't have to modify anything. More than 180 or if your personal preference requires it, you're going to have to get stiffer springs.

#9 ·
I was always happy with my Sherman. The tire clearance was a little limited, but that's it. I had a TPC+ Firefly. TPC's dual shimstack is very easy to tune and mess around with. If you get the SPV model, I would make sure you do the devolve to get rid of that notchy feeling.

#11 ·
I'd go for the Sherman Flick in a heart beat! A Sherman Flick Plus on my Trek Remedy, a Sherman Breakout Plus on my Session77 and a Minute1 on my Trek 8500 Hardtail. All are going on 2 years + and still riding great. In fact the 3 frame breaks between the Sherman's.
I'm 6' 4" 225 lbs., my fork set-up my Flick with a $25. Firm Spring and 10 wt. oil, I've raced DH, FR drops and it eats up rock gardens such as Tunnel Trail.
My forks are still going strong without any repair work ever being needed, that includes no leaky seals like EVRYONE ELSE I KNOW THAT DOESN"T RIDE MANITOU'S.

Good Luck!:thumbsup:

Ride On,
LocnRock

#12 ·
Sherman.

I ride the Flick on my main ride, and have only a few minor complaints. Firstly, the fork becomes very harsh on super-high speed, high-frequency bump terrain (bombing very fast down a trail littered with baby heads for instance). This has happened to me only once, when railing Top of the World in Moab. I had to stop every five minutes or so because my hands would be too fatigued to effectively use the brakes. I don't know if other 6-inch forks would fare any better though...just a thought.

Secondly, the rapid-travel-wind down feature isn't that great for climbing anything technical. If you are climbing fireroad or paved hills, then it rocks, but for any real trail climbing, you are better off leaving it in full travel, and learning how to climb smoothly. Doesn't take too long.

Overall, I'm very happy with the Sherman. Outrageously cheap, six inches of TPC damped travel, stiff, and only a hair above five pounds. No desire to upgrade to any of the newer bling when I have such a solid and reliable performer. Get it....

#14 ·
Raptordude said:
I still ride SPV because I'm still kinda clueless about Devolving.

Next time you're in town we can go to my house and do some maintanince, and cold one consuming.
There's a great write-up in the shocks forum. Have you already read that? It's really very simple. It's just removing the spring from the check-valve. This prevents it from snapping closed, so you're effectively removing the platform. So the fork is much more compliant.

#16 ·
Well, it looks like I missed the opportunity for the Flick (sold out)....so unless you guys have some other inexpensive recommendations it looks like I will be getting the Z1.

#20 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
Slider Plus is the DC with SPV. Do the SPV Devolve, and it's pretty nice. The stanchions are set rather close together, so turning radius is a bit limited.
Bike shop sold me a NIB '07 Marz Z1 Sport RV (20mm thru axle) uncut steer tube for $269.00 OTD.

I'll ride for now as a 6", but later when i can get a 66 I will run in 7".

#21 ·
The Saint said:
What about an 05 Shermin Slider Plus for $230? They don't get the best reviews, but an $800 fork for $230 is nice.

(I would love a 66, but $$$ :eekster: )
I ride a Sherman Plus, I haven't devolved it yet but I still enjoy it.

I reviewed it here and I think my review is pretty spot on, here's the run down:

Goods:
Killer Low to Mid Speed Compression
Good Adjusments
Stiff
Easy to Install
Outstanding Value

Bads:
High Speed Compression
Turning Radius

The turning radius is undeniably the worst of any fork out there. The high speed compression is fixable should you want to devolve your SPV Valve. I have yet to do it because I still enjoy the low and mid speed compression my bike provides, that and I am paranoid to remove my lowers and mess something up.

It that price you quoted was for a QR version I would NOT buy a QR Sherman Slider Plus.

All in all its a really good fork if you ask me, but eh, it keeps me wanting more (Like a 888 or Boxxer) but for the price I got it at $260 TA Version, its a keeper at least for a while.

#22 ·
with all the inner turmoil of Manitou I would stay away

rumour had it they couldn't pay their employee's a while back...then they sell their company....now it is moving.......should be about 2 years before they get their act together and if they can ....can they keep up with the competition because they are not trying to do research and development....they are concentrating on moving and getting organised

#23 ·
Raptordude said:
I ride a Sherman Plus, I haven't devolved it yet but I still enjoy it.

I reviewed it here and I think my review is pretty spot on, here's the run down:

Goods:
Killer Low to Mid Speed Compression
Good Adjusments
Stiff
Easy to Install
Outstanding Value

Bads:
High Speed Compression
Turning Radius

The turning radius is undeniably the worst of any fork out there. The high speed compression is fixable should you want to devolve your SPV Valve. I have yet to do it because I still enjoy the low and mid speed compression my bike provides, that and I am paranoid to remove my lowers and mess something up.

It that price you quoted was for a QR version I would NOT buy a QR Sherman Slider Plus.

All in all its a really good fork if you ask me, but eh, it keeps me wanting more (Like a 888 or Boxxer) but for the price I got it at $260 TA Version, its a keeper at least for a while.
All the prices that I quoted were for the 20mm thru axle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.