Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Case today

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Jisch 
#1 ·
It was a great day for a ride -

The forecast was for clouds and rain all day. I had some major family obligations and was pretty close to not riding at all. I called Slider to call it off and once again he convinced me to go. Damn that Slider.

We saw a few light showers and it was cloudy much of ride, but there was also a bit of sun. The new leaves are absolutely bursting with color - it was a great ride and I'm so glad Slider was so insistent that we ride.

It was like this for 12 miles.

...and like this.

With a little of this:

I usually set my camera to take a burst of three pictures - though realistically it hardly ever results in anything more than one good picture out of three. I rarely post two from the same burst of pictures. The light was nice today and these two sets of three came out nice:

Slider taking a hairpin - probably not his best execution, but individually pretty good pictures:

This was not the best stream crossing we came across today, but it was the only one that was not an interruption of the ride to stop and take pictures:

John

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice pics. I like the water coming off of the front wheel in the last shot.

I went out for a short spin late yesterday afternoon in Mattapoisett, Mass. It was my 1st time riding these particular trails but they were fun. Next time I'll bring a camera.

#3 ·
Where?

John,

Could you shed some light on the locations that those pics were taken? I/we ride Case quite a bit and can't seem to figure where you were. Any landmarks you could mention to help figure it out (blue trail, yellow trail, rock garden, slick rock, big drop, Bunkingham Res, etc, etc)?

Thanks

#4 ·
Just answered this same question...

CheapTrek said:
John,

Could you shed some light on the locations that those pics were taken? I/we ride Case quite a bit and can't seem to figure where you were. Any landmarks you could mention to help figure it out (blue trail, yellow trail, rock garden, slick rock, big drop, Bunkingham Res, etc, etc)?

Thanks
Someone over at NEMBA just asked the same question... here's my answer:

The pics are taken at many different spots across Case I couldn't name exactly where they were. We started at Case Pond, up blue, out to powerlines - (yes, up the slick rock climb - some of us rode the slick rock up twice), then down Fern to Swamp, up Fort, to yellow to blue, blue/yellow back down then blue back to parking lot (I think that's it).

I was re-living the ride this morning by looking at the pictures and I had that exact thought - funny how buff Case looks in this post. Trust me we rode all the tough stuff, but who wants to stop there and take pictures?

John

#5 ·
Hey guys, I've never ridden case, but was thinking about going up there this weekend. Where is a good place to start/park. I see you mentioned Case pond, is this the usual parking area? Thanks for the help ahead of time, and FYI I'm coming from bridgeport.....

#6 ·
There are three parking areas for Case - Line Street, Birch Mt (radio antennas) and Case Pond. Case Pond and Line Street both have climbs to start, whereas Birch Mt is at a high point, so its downhill to start (but uphill to finish). I think Line Street is the most popular, personally I like Case Pond as the descent back out is sawheat. The climb in from Case Pond is pretty serious - but its all rideable. Whatever you do, make sure to ride the blue/yellow down (its off the blue at the very top) - you must ride it down, not up. There are three hike a bikes while riding it down, but its well worth it. Count your dabs on the mountain laurel section part and report back. Its highly technical...

You can get maps and directions to those lots over at Bikerag.com.

I'd love to hear how you like it. NEMBA is hosting a "thing" there on July 20th. I think I'm leading a ride - but not sure yet.

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.