Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Which Kenda Tire/Size for Phoenix

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Kevin_O 
#1 ·
I’m in Scottsdale, Az (Mcdowell Mountain), and I’m interested in putting some Kenda’s on my Ellsworth Moment (I had an ID and tire clearance was too tight and ball clearance was even less), I already have a pretty light Turner Burner so weight isn’t really a concern as traction and control.

Based on loose rocky terrain with lots of climbing on rocks, I am thinking a 2.4-2.3” in front and 2.1” in the back (to make sure it will fit, my WTB Mutano Raptor 2.4” barely fit in my ID, and the moment appears to be slightly larger but still small. I might be able to fit a 2.3 in back, since I don't do any mud riding

Tires must work with stans (currently I use the WTB’s above and the Continential 2.3 Protection’s)

Combo #1

Kenda Cortez 2.4 Front
Kenda Cortez 2.1 Rear

Combo #2

Kenda Blue Grove 2.3 Front
Kenda Blue Grove 2.1 Rear (or 2.3)

Combo #3

Kenda Nevagul 2.3 Front
Kenda Nevagul 2.1 Rear (or 2.3)

Thanks,
Chris

See less See more
#2 ·
Kenetics

I test rode a couple of Tituses (Titi?) on South Mountain with Kenda Kenetics on them. I was REALLY impressed with their traction and control. Thinking about switching to these when I wear out my Weirwolf/MotoRaptor combo.

#3 ·
cytocycle said:
Based on loose rocky terrain with lots of climbing on rocks, I am thinking a 2.4-2.3" in front and 2.1" in the back (to make sure it will fit, my WTB Mutano Raptor 2.4" barely fit in my ID, and the moment appears to be slightly larger but still small. I might be able to fit a 2.3 in back, since I don't do any mud riding

Thanks,
Chris
I have a set of Kinetics with Stick-e rubber 2.35. I liked them. They have large knobbies and stuck to the rocks pretty well, but they wear out a little faster given the soft rubber. I replaced it with a 2.4 mutanoraptor. I don't think the mutano had as good traction, but I'm getting used to it.

I haven't tried the blue groove & nevegal tires, so I don't know what they are like.

Also, the kenda 2.35 looked a lot smaller than the stock 2.2 Spec Enduro tires that I was replacing. You might be OK with the 2.35 in the rear.

Oh yeah... one word of caution about Kenda. I think their build quality is suspect. Every time I looked at a Kenda tires, the knobbies don't line up in the center of the tire where it is seamed together. They are offset from each other. Just be sure to look it over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.