Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Has anyone actually ridden the steep rocky chute

2K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  Snowpug 
#1 ·
near the top of Porcupine Rim. After walking it with my boys who are very good technical riders, we commented that we can't envision anyone actually rolling through that.

I was actually a bit dissapointed in the Rim. There was alot more uphill than I thought there would be. The trail was fun in places, but mostly just annoyingly rough.I like techy sections but also plenty of flow and there wasn't much on the Rim. The scenery was definitely amazing and the highlight of the ride for me.

#2 ·
A: It sounds like your talking about the lower porc single track.
B: "annoyingly rough" is kind of a funny thing to say about porc rim since people have been riding and loving it since suspension was only for motorcycles.

and..

3: Yes people can and do ride that chute.

Here is a crappy horrible video I made in '05 just to document our hazzard county ride. Again, its terrible, but let it buffer and then fast forward to 5:00 in and you will see people attempting and then riding that chute. http://www.archive.org/details/moab_biking

#4 ·
Maybe you could ask them to put a lift in so you can take that up.....(lots of sarcasm)
If you shuttled it (and im sure you did) then there is only 3 miles of uphill. I did it on a 40 pound bike...
that trail teaches more skill then any other in moab. ride it for what it is and drop all the ledges and it is an amazing trail

#5 ·
Same thoughts as KavuRider. The climb is a challenge and if you can ride it all the way up without walking it really says something about your climbing abilities. The down hill section IS awesome and the faster you ride it the better. I've got some friends that say "it's like a jackhammer", and I tell them that they must be riding it too slow.

I'm not sure what rocky chute you are talking about. The one in the video above didn't seem difficult at all, at least in the video.

I don't know how you could have been disapointed in the Porcupine, as far as I'm concerned it's one of the best rides out there. In fact we are heading up this Thursday for 6 days from Denver!!

#7 ·
I'd love to take a "free ride" bike up there like a RMX. I know the climb would really suck on it but the DH would be awesome. I've cleared every obstical on the climb, but not on every ride. A couple of those "rock gardens" are pretty technical.

This year I have a TALAS so I'll be able to dial it down for the climb up, should help quite a bit. I myself ride a ancient Schwinn S-10 (98) but it still gets the job done. Sounds like the guy on the GT had some mad skills!!

#8 ·
The funniest part in all of this is that you have to ride Porc Rim from way up top to even hit the chute you're talking about - meaning that you completely skipped %90 of the climbing on the trail. Time to sell your bike and get a Rascal I'm afraid.

#9 ·
rep_1969 said:
I'd love to take a "free ride" bike up there like a RMX. I know the climb would really suck on it but the DH would be awesome. I've cleared every obstical on the climb, but not on every ride. A couple of those "rock gardens" are pretty technical.
Honestly, I've done it and it was total overkill. More bike than you need...even the chute on LPS and a couple of the optional bigger drops. Plus, the pedaly stretches of the downhill aren't nearly as fun lugging a 45 lb. on there. I think a good 5-6" travel bike is all you really need for that trail. I'd much prefer to hit it on my reign these days.

EB

#10 ·
Godzilla said:
The funniest part in all of this is that you have to ride Porc Rim from way up top to even hit the chute you're talking about - meaning that you completely skipped %90 of the climbing on the trail. Time to sell your bike and get a Rascal I'm afraid.
I guess that explains why it doesn't look familiar to me. I was wondering where
the hell that section was. So if you start from the trail-head where the shuttle drops
you off you'll never see that section??

#11 ·
ebxtreme said:
Honestly, I've done it and it was total overkill. More bike than you need...even the chute on LPS and a couple of the optional bigger drops. Plus, the pedaly stretches of the downhill aren't nearly as fun lugging a 45 lb. on there. I think a good 5-6" travel bike is all you really need for that trail. I'd much prefer to hit it on my reign these days.

EB
Sounds like good advice. . . . I'll stick with my schwinn.

#15 ·
I dunno...I had tons of fun going down the trail with the RMX.
That's my climbing bike though, so I'm used to lugging it everywhere.
But yeah, most people were on 5x5" bikes and had no problem with the terrain.

That guy on the GT was awesome...mad skills.

Darn, never saw that chute...looks like fun. Can't wait until next time!

#18 ·
KavuRider said:
I dunno...I had tons of fun going down the trail with the RMX.
That's my climbing bike though, so I'm used to lugging it everywhere.
I rode my dh bike on every single ride for a year including epics at 10k+ feet, but I still think it's overkill for Porc Rim. My point of view isn't if it's possible to do and have fun on one, because I've done it and had a good time. Rather, I definitely could ride my 6" AM bike quicker and have more fun on that trail than I could my big bike simply due to the amount of pedaling involved. There's not enough sustained steep on that trail to make it worthwhile, imo. What you make up for in the ability to float over some of the chundery sections on the big bike, you give up on the flatter sections where a more nimble bike can rip that shite up. On the other hand, I think my dh bike is more than I need for the shore these days too. :confused:

The chute is on LPS. You either need to ride up to that or take a shuttle to get to it, but you don't go up the normal climb to get to it. LPS drops you out right by the Castle Valley overlook.

EB

#19 ·
The chute is on LPS. You either need to ride up to that or take a shuttle to get to it, but you don't go up the normal climb to get to it. LPS drops you out right by the Castle Valley overlook.
Yup! Last fall I rode up to it from the main trailhead. About 4 miles. I am glad i did it cause it was fun single track. I climbed my 45lb 7point out of that canyon the chute goes into while a bunch of pus*y's were pushing their bikes.

I heard of a much longer shuttle that goes way higher into the La Salle's and continues into PR. Anybody know about it!

#22 ·
Porc Rim = Good Times

Been 3 years now but I had a blast on Porcupine Rim. Then again we shuttled it with Coyote Shuttle (local Moab outfit). How can you not have fun on the Rim, I mean its Moab, the views are awesome and I loved the speed you get. Rarely do you get that kind of pedalling speed on trail. Plus its only one ride in the area. I had a blast chasing and leading my bros out, felt like road riding. Just plain fun to empty the tank and peg the heart rate!!!

Attachments

#23 ·
I am kinda stunned at the first post that Porc Rim does not have much flow... Each to there own.... But I live on the other side of the world and made sure I travelled to ride this trail... And believe me it was well worth it.... The faster you go the better it is, it has flow, stoke etc etc etc.... Absolutely loved it... I was on my MotoLite, perfect for it. And I was not mucking around.... In my opinion anyway.....

And it rocks now that most people on MTBR talk about it and show pictures and I can say have ridden there.... Yeah F%&/$KEN Ha, Love it..... This year Whistler and Peru... Got to do this before I ge too old......

#25 ·
You know, I think people start posts some times just to "get a rise" out of people. Like maybe this guy saying he wasn't impressed with Porcupine, or that other threat with some guy saying "who's Bender".

Any way, I think we've all pretty much figured out that this guy just rides too slow.

#26 ·
you talking about the chute that's just a couple miles before the end? the one that drops down and there's usually a small pool of water at the bottom? i also thought it was unrideable until a dude on a HT just straight up dropped in and made a crazy descent, bouncing from one rock to the next.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.