Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New bike for college - STP?

2K views 36 replies 19 participants last post by  nadinno78 
#1 · (Edited)
Soo, I'm going to be selling my Giant Faith at a sale where I live, not sure how much I should charge for it. It's an 05 Faith 2, with an e.13 chain guide, x9 shifter and derailleur, and azonic a frames. I think I may take the x9 shifter and derailleur and put it on my new bike. I'm thinking I can sell it for $1500, maybe more?

Also, I'm going to be getting a new bike for when I go to college...no point in having a 48 pound bike to ride around campus when I can have something smaller. I'm thinking about the STP http://www.giantbicycles.com/en-US/bikes/mountain/8/24595/ . I'll ride it around to classes, and use it for urban and dirt jumps and whatnot.

Two shops are having things where you can sell your bike at, and both are 100% in-store credit or 80% back.

Shop 1:
Kona
Rocky Mountain
Trek
Haro
Intense
Yeti

Shop 2:
Giant
Jamis
Scott

I think I'm set on the STP, unless anyone has any other suggestions? With the 2nd shop, I can try talking them into giving me back 100%, since I've already bought 2 bikes from them totaling $4250, and the STP is 850...

Any upgrades either? I'm thinking about just adding the x9 stuff and maybe a new fork, since I'll have plenty of money left over.

Edit:

There's also a 3rd shop that's doing a bike swap thing:
Cannondale
Santa Cruz
Specialized
Fischer
Sinister

See less See more
#3 ·
Jamis komodo is a cool bike, stronger than the giant frames {unless they fixed it for 2007} and for college, get a peice of crap bike. like go to target and get a Magna for $59.99 because even that bike will get stolen. If you're just going to be doing street and light DJ then the STP will work. But if you can get one, get a Specialized P.1 or a Mongoose Ritual. they're both cromo and singlespeed, which is more what you need. I still dont understand why Giant hasnt made a STP 4130 that would be awesome.

#4 ·
todd_freeride said:
Jamis komodo is a cool bike, stronger than the giant frames {unless they fixed it for 2007} and for college, get a peice of crap bike. like go to target and get a Magna for $59.99 because even that bike will get stolen. If you're just going to be doing street and light DJ then the STP will work. But if you can get one, get a Specialized P.1 or a Mongoose Ritual. they're both cromo and singlespeed, which is more what you need. I still dont understand why Giant hasnt made a STP 4130 that would be awesome.
why does he need a cromo single speed. let you're opinions be opinions.

#6 ·
I got an STP for college. It's a solid bike as it is. I was thinking about putting some X0 and a road cassette for racing over the summer, but I'd take it off before I went to college. It's definitely staying in the dorm room though.

#7 ·
STP would be a fun bike for a college, but I wouldn't ride it to class because every bike thief around will know its a good bike, and they'll scope you out to see where you go and when. I keep my downhill bike in my apartment at school (only bike i have at the moment), and one day I noticed this guy was following me on this old huffy. Every time I went out to ride I would wind up with this dude following me back to my apartment complex, then he'd cruise up and down the street for a while.

Long story short he got into trouble for trespassing in my building so now I make sure that 1) MY door is always locked and 2) I never leave my bike in the open unattended, even for a run in to drop something off.

So I think the STP would be a cool bike, as long as you're careful with it and its security.

#8 ·
I'm going to UVM next year, and I've seen a few really nice bikes. What about getting the STP and some cheap road bike...keep the STP in my dorm, ride the other to classes? Sorry, I'm too much of a bike whore to ride a really cheap bike around and not have a good one in my posession :p

Any recommendations on how much I can get for the faith though?

#10 · (Edited)
William42 said:
stp's are sold out for 07 according to my giant rep (i just tried to order one). single speeds and multi alike, frames too. plan on buying used if you're still going to get one
How could they possibly be sold out?

Oh, and I found out theres another shop that's doing a swap, which I edited in my first post.

Other bikes I'm considering:
Sinister DNA
Specialized P.2 Cr-Mo
Cannondale Chase

#11 ·
Red Bull said:
why does he need a cromo single speed. let you're opinions be opinions.
I dont know, maybe you should ask so many people in the DJ/urban forum why they ditched their aluminum hardtails for SS 4130 ones.

mostly the reason, stronger, less maintenance and more forgiving on your body.

#12 ·
KonaStinky05 said:
I'm going to UVM next year, and I've seen a few really nice bikes. What about getting the STP and some cheap road bike...keep the STP in my dorm, ride the other to classes? Sorry, I'm too much of a bike whore to ride a really cheap bike around and not have a good one in my posession :p

Any recommendations on how much I can get for the faith though?
are you sure you need a bike to get around campus? it takes a bit of extra time to undo your lock, and then put it back on again and whatnot. it might not really save you that much time. (i don't know the campus)

if you have to use a bike for around campus though, i would seriously not pay more than $20 for it. i think counting on it being stolen is the way to go--make sure it looks like crap.

alternatively, at my school they had a "bike share" program. you paid a little bit of money, and you got to use a fleet of purple bikes that are meant to just get around campus. it was really cool and if the bike was stolen i don't think you were out the cash.

best, IMO, is to get the nice street bike and just walk to classes--use the bike just for fun, doing urban. and yes, always keep it in your dorm room and locked up when you're not using it. i did that for 2-3 years and it worked really well.

#13 ·
Sinister DNA are nice, C'dale chase as well. the P.2 is amazing, go try out a cro mo frame and see how you like it. they're a lot stronger and also way more abuse worthy. the chase is really sick I only wish I could afford one for jumping.

#16 ·
being a college student and working at a bike shop i can tell you that no matter how you lock up your bike ( u-lock or big burly new york chain ) that it will get stolen if someone really wants it. i have heard so many stories of stolen parts and bikes. i would not ride my nice bike around and leave it locked up for 2 reasons.
1. it might get stolen
2. if it rains it will just sit there and get all wet and then parts will start to rust, NO GOOD

get a total beater bike if you have a big campus and want to ride across campus. now on a better note, college campuses have some really good urban rideing on them so you will have fun if you get a dj/urban bike. trials riding is great on campus as well!

#17 ·
I think I'm going to go for the P.1...single speed, cr-mo, and easy to maintain. I road it around today and I liked it. The problem is I can either get 80% of the money I get for the Faith and get the P.1 and keep the rest of the money or get upgrades for it, or I use the 100% store credit to get the P.1 and a road bike to ride around campus.

#18 ·
Good choice on the P.1 Scour your local www.craigslist.com you can usually pick up a beater mountain bike for $10.00 like an old huffy or something. because even that Will get stolen. Get a P.1 lock it in your dorm when you're not riding it. Then spend $10.00-$20.00 for a piece of crap to ride around campus.

#19 ·
What other's have said: if you ride a nice bike around campus, it will be stolen. No question. And lugging one of those NY locks around with you would get old, fast.

Get a beater for cruising around campus, its worth it. Leave the new rig in your dorm.

#22 ·
wallmart has a line of "road bikes" (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3663046) if you're down with gripshifts on a roadbike and buying from walmart.

and you can usually get a road bike on craigslist (depending on where you live, SF/bay area, seattle, and NY tend to have a pretty huge selection) for sub 100 bucks. i have a p3 and an old roadbike. the roadbike is great because i'm usually to lazy to peddle the p3 around.

how far are you from campus? how much riding will you be doing? i'd throw down 100-150 for a cheap road bike that as long as you have a standerd cable lock that you can get for like 20 bucks and throw in your backpack, you'll be safe.

#26 ·
i loved my stp 1 as a tear-ass-around-campus-on-errands-and-late-night-urban-sesh bike. so fun. I'd only rode it to class when I was in a room that afforded me a view of the bike rack so i could keep an eye on it. that or just brought it inside and stuck it in the corner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.