Votes: 29 52.7%
  • black

Votes: 26 47.3%

Transition Gran Mal

4K views 25 replies 21 participants last post by  be350ka 
#1 · (Edited)
I ´m going to buy a transition gran mal
but what color ?
blue or black , the fork ; i´m going to have a boxxer team in black/grey like this
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame

Font Musical instrument accessory Silver

See less See more
#14 ·
Dirtman said:
I do not want to be the one to throw a stick in the spoke but haveyou checked out the NEW Prototype from Transistion - Blindside. Gran Mal replacement, look real nice.

http://transitionbikes.com/2007/Blog.cfm
zanks but i don´t like the blindside
for my the gran mal is more best than the blindside
because the bike (i think ) is only for dh and i want a bike for dh /freeride
i think this bike is for 2008

#15 ·
Lucson said:
zanks but i don´t like the blindside
for my the gran mal is more best than the blindside
because the bike (i think ) is only for dh and i want a bike for dh /freeride
i think this bike is for 2008
Nope! If you read the Transition description you will see that it (blindside) is an improvement on the Gran Mal. That is not to say that there is anything wrong with the Gran Mal, sizing limitations were a real issue for some riders. The Blindside is to improve on these limitations. Also, Transition dubs it as its DH/FR frame just as they did with the GM.

If you decide on the GM im sure that you will be impressed. Enjoy it.:thumbsup:

#19 ·
be350ka said:
Nope! If you read the Transition description you will see that it (blindside) is an improvement on the Gran Mal. That is not to say that there is anything wrong with the Gran Mal, sizing limitations were a real issue for some riders. The Blindside is to improve on these limitations. Also, Transition dubs it as its DH/FR frame just as they did with the GM.

If you decide on the GM im sure that you will be impressed. Enjoy it.:thumbsup:
true dat....we were riding the shore last weekend and everyone on a Gran Mal was joking how there bike was outdated because of the new sick Blindside

#23 ·
be350ka said:
Nope! If you read the Transition description you will see that it (blindside) is an improvement on the Gran Mal.
I dunno man. EBX has a Gran Mal, and we saw the dongle last weekend. (aka "blindside"- obviously the frame should be called "the dongle")

They are both really sweet frames! The dongle looked killer. You don't even notice the seat tube stub. But it's there... and it's hungry!

Here's my thoughts though:
The Gran mal has a 150mm rear wheel. This means a stronger wheel, more tire clearance, and no problems with the chain rubbing on the side lugs if you run a 2x9 set up with 2.7 rear tire. Advantage: gran mal.
The Gran Mal has longer stays. Longer is better for stability on steeps and at high speeds- more DH geometry.
Seems like they could keep the basic gran mal design and just run a shorter shock to work around the sizing issues. It might limit the travel on the smaller sizes down to 7.5", but really thats plenty for most folks!

So basically, the dongle is lighter, has more AM-friendly geometry, and takes wheels off XC bikes at the cost of tire clearance and wheel strength. It seems like the Gran Mal is more true DH/FR whereas the Dongle is more of a straight FR bike. Of course- sounds like the dongle is still being tested and the transition guys are giving it a good beating before the design is finalized. They seem like real nice dudes and they were all smiles when I asked them about the new bike. You can't go wrong either way.

#24 ·
Wait for the Blindside!!!!!

Dudes, I realized after doing 3 runs on Mt. Seymour on Saturday with the bro's, that my bike is so last year. As a matter of fact, I'm just referring to it as "outdated" now. ;)

Kyle and a bunch of guys were up there on Saturday and they rode the Blindside (well, Kyle and Brad Walton were) and they said it did great. Brad hit the Twoonie drop on it 2x and it apparently handled that with no probs and felt great on the tighter and twister stuff that the shore gives ya. Kyle's proto version with a Totem air was ~40 lbs., but his was sans dongle which might tack on another pound or two! :D

Honestly, I don't have any issues with the skinnies or the tight sections on the shore on my GM, but I also have a single crown fork which makes a difference. While it's a bit more bike than necessary up there to move around, it's ultra stable and rips the descents. I'm perfectly happy with my GM and might give the blindside a try once they come out, but I'll probably have to throw a leg over one first. Whistler opens in 3 weeks and the GM will be ready to shred.

EB

#26 ·
FM said:
I dunno man. EBX has a Gran Mal, and we saw the dongle last weekend. (aka "blindside"- obviously the frame should be called "the dongle")

They are both really sweet frames! The dongle looked killer. You don't even notice the seat tube stub. But it's there... and it's hungry!

Here's my thoughts though:
The Gran mal has a 150mm rear wheel. This means a stronger wheel, more tire clearance, and no problems with the chain rubbing on the side lugs if you run a 2x9 set up with 2.7 rear tire. Advantage: gran mal.
The Gran Mal has longer stays. Longer is better for stability on steeps and at high speeds- more DH geometry.
Seems like they could keep the basic gran mal design and just run a shorter shock to work around the sizing issues. It might limit the travel on the smaller sizes down to 7.5", but really thats plenty for most folks!

So basically, the dongle is lighter, has more AM-friendly geometry, and takes wheels off XC bikes at the cost of tire clearance and wheel strength. It seems like the Gran Mal is more true DH/FR whereas the Dongle is more of a straight FR bike. Of course- sounds like the dongle is still being tested and the transition guys are giving it a good beating before the design is finalized. They seem like real nice dudes and they were all smiles when I asked them about the new bike. You can't go wrong either way.
I hear what you are saying. I am looking for a DH/FR bike to build this winter and the Blindside is near the top. One thing that I like for simplicity/interchangability is the 135mm rear spacing. If you destroy a wheel, you can rob one from your other bikes and keep going (although, your intensity may be limited).

Your points are good ones and add yet more for me to think about.:madman:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.