Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Best way to remove brake levers pins?

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  LLrider 
#1 ·
I just got some new Bonz one finger levers for my Heckler. My local bike shops haven't been any help. One shop said they didn't have the right size press to remove the pivot pin. The second shop said it was a piece of cake, but when I came back to pick my bike up the lever housing looked like it had been through hell but they did get the levers on after charging me $25 because it was so difficult to do. :madman:

Now that I have the one finger levers on I want to switch the stock ones back on. The one fingers don't give any leverage. I don't get any modulation with the brakes now and I have to use all my strength to even come close to locking the brakes up. I realize I was stupid and should have gone with Bonz two finger levers but I want to change back to stock for now.

Any pointers on an easy way to remove the pivot pins without damaging the brake lever housing too much? Also if anyone is interested in some one finger levers let me know. they have two rides on them. I'd trade for two finger aftermarkets too. Right now my main is getting my Hayes back in working order though.

#4 ·
My Mag's may be just easy to do as they are so old but here is what I do.
I use a large G-Clamp that has rubber protectors on it so It does not scratch, I then use an old bit of chain link 1 pin and 1 side plate and push the pivot pin out with the chainlink using the G Clamp.

If they are still though to get off you can remove the lever body and use a centerpunch to knock out the pivot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.