Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Specialized Deviant

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  momotaro 
#1 ·
I'm looking at buying one of these helmets, and was wondering what size to get. I've got a Giro Xen which I think is a large. Looking at specs, both the large deviant and large xen say head circumference of 59-63cm. I tried on a large deviant and i wasn't really sure how it should fit. Any advice?

Anyone got both of these helmets? What sizes do you have?

#2 ·
dav1d said:
I'm looking at buying one of these helmets, and was wondering what size to get. I've got a Giro Xen which I think is a large. Looking at specs, both the large deviant and large xen say head circumference of 59-63cm. I tried on a large deviant and i wasn't really sure how it should fit. Any advice?

Anyone got both of these helmets? What sizes do you have?
look into the giro remedy

#3 ·
I have a size med. xen and med. deviant. my head measures out to the max size for the med.

The deviant fit felt strange at first, have to stretch the helmet to get it on my head, and I had to adjust the main pad some. Plus I have to open the retention thing in the back and then tighten it once it's on. I've gotten used to it, maybe it felt funny at first because I was used to a remedy.

I will say that the helmet is falling apart. It's an 07 that I've used a lot since I got it a few months ago. First the trim peice around the face opening went, now the pads inside the face guard have come unglued. The velcros for the pads come unglued too. Lots of paint coming off. I figure they've got a good warranty, probably have to use it.

There are things I like about the helmet, I've gotten used to the fit and like that part now, it was painful at first. It also doesn't feel as bulky either.

#7 ·
I've got a large Xen and a large Deviant, but some people have brought up some pretty good points about the Deviant being more of an XC lid. Looking back on it, If I were to do it again I would probably get Remedy. I don't regret my purchase, but I think the Deviant could be made better and have softer padding rather than the XC style hard foam. I would definitely find one to try on because I think they have have a fairly unique fit.

#8 ·
I like the light weight and coolness of the Deviant. I hear what others are saying about the padding and under-built aspects of the helmet, but I think that's a function of the type of helmet that it is. I have no reason to believe that it would be inadequate at protection, but you guys mileage might vary.

My complaint is that the paint job is crap. It looks cool (flat black with flames), but at least on mine, you get one scratch on it and the paint job starts deconstructing. It's got glossy paint underneath with the flat clearcoat on top. One chip, and the the rest of the paint is flaking away adjacent the chip. It's like the gloss paint didn't adhere (and there's no primer underneath). Yes, I augered it in a couple times, but not on the adjacent areas. But that's what a helmet is for. Has anyone else's Deviant done this? Do other helmets do this?

#9 ·
The Deviant seems to be hit or miss, you love it or its not for you.

I will break it down like this:

The Goods: The helmet vents well obviously, and is great for any agressive riding you may do. I will NOT reccomend it for Ski Resort riding, extreme freeride or racing, it just doesn't feel that safe and may not comform/fit your head as well as it should when you're hauling. The helmet is very light and has a stiff outer shell. The details are great and is worth the money. Durability for mine has NOT been tested yet, I have not crashed with it yet.

The Bads: The padding is signifigantly less than your traditional helmet, this is because it helps your head stay cool. Deciding wether the Deviant is right for you or not is a matter of riding style and comfort while riding with the helmet. You're only as safe as you feel with it on your head.

Fitting: I wear a Large 661 helmet (Flight and my old Comp) and that is a really snug and solid fit. The Deviant has ways of its own, the sizing for it was correct for my dome but I think I could've worn a Medium. The thing is that you can adjust the helmet to fit your dome even if you order a size too large. That may be questionable should you be riding aggressivley, you shouldn't have to rely on a retention device to provide the proper fit, it should fit naturally well. I'd say if you're on the lower side of the spectrum for the Large size for other brands (Like 661 or Giro) you should go with a Medium.

Final Advice: All depends on your riding to be honest. Because of the flaws the Deviant present I got myself a 661 Flight for the summer which is DOT/Snell approved. The newer Deviant's are apparently certified to the new DH standards, people still question its durability which is OK. I'm now all for the 2 helmet setup: Deviant for agressive riding, 661 Flight for balls out DH and Racing.

#10 ·
Only way to know is to try it on. I'm picking mine up in an hour or so, and I have worn it for about 15 minutes total. Granted, not riding under it, but I did all I could to make sure it fit right. IT was funny, cause I went through all the head movements I could think of that I'd do while riding, wich made me look funny haha. THe guys at the shop were like wtf are you doing??? Cause I'm the only rider here who would ever need/buy a fullface hahaha.

#11 ·
I agree paint durability is weak and the fit is like an XC helmet. It works for my style aggressive not too hard core and have raced beginner DH. My old Spec BMX helmet while heavy felt oh so secure. I still have an Enduro true XC lid for mild trails.

#13 ·
Every ones head is different regardless of size try one on before buying PLEASE:eek::D

I wanted one for light days or so I thought, I have an 07 Remedy which I love dam comfortable and strong, anyways tried on a Deviant dam not for me it hurt my ears pinched my head so it was not for me, also gave me no confidence that it would sustain a good impact, I think it sets you up for some head injuries imo its very very light.

Anyways if it suits you go for it but I think you should also have a big hit helmet in ya bag as well for bigger days:thumbsup:

#14 ·
trailadvent said:
Every ones head is different regardless of size try one on before buying PLEASE:eek::D

I wanted one for light days or so I thought, I have an 07 Remedy which I love dam comfortable and strong, anyways tried on a Deviant dam not for me it hurt my ears pinched my head so it was not for me, also gave me no confidence that it would sustain a good impact, I think it sets you up for some head injuries imo its very very light.

Anyways if it suits you go for it but I think you should also have a big hit helmet in ya bag as well for bigger days:thumbsup:
you have a fat head then, buddy.

#15 ·
This is going to be a little thread jack here...

Since a lot of people are recommending the Remedy, does anyone know if they have different cheek pad sizing? I finally got to try one on but my fat cheeks get in the way (otherwise the helmet fit fine). I know after a while it'd be a nuisance and I wouldn't want to wear it.

On that note, I own a Deviant and so far it's the only helmet that's fit me well. The Azonic T-55 was the only other helmet that fit me well but it felt like it weighed a ton.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.