Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

ANY tips on how to get my DH tire off the rim w/o ruining my RIM.

2K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  SteveUK 
#1 ·
i am trying to retrue my rims via a roadie friend. he doesn't have a clue the best way to take them off without using a FLAT TIP screwdriver. help me please.

#3 ·
bartlf said:
i am trying to retrue my rims via a roadie friend. he doesn't have a clue the best way to take them off without using a FLAT TIP screwdriver. help me please.
Get the tire warm. Use some lube. Get several bicycle tire levers (plastic ones are usually fine). Read this: http://www.teamestrogen.com/articles/asa_levers.asp

#14 ·
You are probably trying to hard. Get a nice long and stiff tire lever(motorcycle, Pedros, Park) Break the bead, place a cheap plastic tire lever in the broken bead next to steel tire lever, remove steel tire lever and move about 3-4" over and break the bead again. At this point you should have the tire off.

Replacing the tire is just as easy, you do not need soap or any other lube. Fill your tube up with a small amount of air and work your way along seating the bead. The only tires That ALWAYS need a tire lever to install is an intense FRO tire.
Good luck Tuff Hands

#15 ·
The valley that runs down the centre of the rim on the inside is your friend. Start by making sure you've gotten as much air out as possible, then lay the wheel flat on the ground. At the valve, press the tyre (tire) where it meets the rim (this may talk 'two thumbs' of effort) to release the tyre bead from the rim. You can use a 'pincer' movement with your thumb and forefinger to work all the way around the rim towards the valley until one edge of the tyre is completely loose. From directly opposite thevalve, use your tyre lever to prise the tyre over the rim. Good tyre levers will have a hook on the opposite end to the lever face; hook it over a spoke to hold it in place. At this point, you may get another lever in. If not, return to the valve and repeat the pincer process, loosening the bead from the rim, then returning to point you've already levered.
The 'pincer' process works equally well when fitting tyres.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.