Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Freeride Tires

877 views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  evannever 
#1 ·
I live on the east coast and am in need of a good set of freeride tires. I was just curious to find out what are some of the best choices are, whether it is mix and match or just a uniform set.

#2 ·
Everyone's got the fanatical tire selection, it's best to match your tread to the terrain you ride

I've been running 2.35 Maxxis Minion F & R for some time now, the front is great, the back wore very fast to start, but seems to be holding on fairly well later in life. Maxxis released a new triple-compound mix that is said to wear much better

My girlfriends setup is a Stick-E 2.5 Kenda Nevegal on the front to keep it firmly where it is supposed to be :) and a 2.35 Kenda Blue-Groove for super smooth rolling

#4 ·
freeride tires

I run the Nevegal 2.5 StickE- without peer.
I have also run the Panaracer FR 2.4- excellent but not in the same league as the Kenda.
I think wheelset up and rims are almost as important if not more. Excellent hubs and a wider rim are a must. I have Hope hubs laced to Sun Intense Mag 30's- bombproof. Rolls smoooooth! Puts a solid rolling patch on the ground. Never a concern teaking them regardless of tire choice.

#9 ·
i also live in the east coast and with the varying weather conditions i had to make the exact same choice 4-5 months back. I listened to everyone bark out the usual "Minion DHF/DHR and Kenda Nevegal F/R"....and was seriously consdiering those.
but then i looked at the Intense 909 for a front tire.
the giant side knobs are perfect for grabbing anythign loose on the trails and the Intenses 2 ply (if you go with the ex compount---4 ply if you go with FRO) sidewalls are very burly if you go with the 909 you WILL NOT be dissapointed
for the rear tire i did decide to go with the Minion DHR although now i think i shouldve gone with the Highroller....whatever no complaints:)

pm me if you want a more indepth review/pics

#12 ·
I run a kenda 2.5 sticky front. and a kenda small block 8 in the rear..(not recomended for FR)

And yes i race dh and the tire holds up very well and is very light.

Also the rim size helps alot...and hubs.

I have hope 2 pros and (07) 729s front and back and my bike rolls faster than all my friends.....they have xt and chris king:thumbsup:

#13 ·
I ran Supertacky (42a durometer) 2.5 Minion Fr/ 2.5 Highroller rear on one of my bikes most of last season
Ran BlueGroove 2.35 Stick-E Fr/Rr on the other
Have Blue Groove DTCs' on short travel bike at the moment, mixed feelings on them..

Recently had some time on the Maxxis ADvantage 2.4's, folding bead (850g). They have a resonably think casing, 60a durometer so they stick but still roll fast and wear well. I've set them up tubless and they hold a bead well but are designed around running tubes. They excell for FR where you have to do some climbing/trailriding.

If you're riding is DJ oriented you should check out the DMR Moto Digger. Not a widely used tire but I've run them back to back through the DJ's against my Kenda Small Block 8's and Schwalbe Table tops, the Moto Diggers rock, fast rolling with major traction and burly enough to take some abuse without being to heavy (750g). These also work well tubless.

#15 ·
While I will whole heartedly agree that the 2.5 Nevegal is the best tire I have ever ridden, there is a deal that is too good to pass up on the 2.6 Kenda Kinetic. $5 a piece from Kenda direct. I just mounted up a rear and its about the same with as the 2.5 Nevegal for reference. Its definitely a more XC oriented big tire, but you can save your 2 ply wire beads for the lift served days.

http://kendausa.com/bicycle/weeklyspecials.htm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.