Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What Platforms?

797 views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  AllOver 
#1 ·
just as the title states. I'm starting to go really big on my Zone, Today I was testing out this newish transition to a 15 foot drop we built. and when I landed, if felt really weird. like it felt like the pedals were twisting, and sure enough, I had bent the right side pedal. I was using Specialized OEM pedals from my P.1. I mean they survived plenty of whistler and blackrock. but I want some new pedals. I want to keep the price under $40.00 and would REALLY prefer from jensonusa.com since I'm ordering my frame from there.

my choices.
Azonic Fusion Magnesium
Drive Pedals ( http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/PE309C00-Drive+Pedals.aspx )
Sun/Ringle Zu-Zu

as well as a few others. my style is DH/FR

#3 ·
todd_freeride said:
just as the title states. I'm starting to go really big on my Zone, Today I was testing out this newish transition to a 15 foot drop we built. and when I landed, if felt really weird. like it felt like the pedals were twisting, and sure enough, I had bent the right side pedal. I was using Specialized OEM pedals from my P.1. I mean they survived plenty of whistler and blackrock. but I want some new pedals. I want to keep the price under $40.00 and would REALLY prefer from jensonusa.com since I'm ordering my frame from there.

my choices.
Azonic Fusion Magnesium
Drive Pedals ( http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/PE309C00-Drive+Pedals.aspx )
Sun/Ringle Zu-Zu

as well as a few others. my style is DH/FR
I have some Azonic Fusion Magnesium that I used for about a week while I waited for my specialized pedals to get warrentied. That I can sell you for pretty damn cheap. PM me if interested.

#4 ·
This topic has been beaten to death...

I use Zu-Zu's, ride DH/FR, and haven't had a problem yet so my vote goes to those.

But really, EVERYONE is going to have different opinions. The engineering behind a pair of pedals isn't all that complicated when you think about it so it pretty much boils down to personal preferences. Every set of pedals is going to fail at some point -- some earlier/later than others -- but the bottom line is this: buy a set of pedals that YOU want and if you don't like them, replace them -- it's really that simple. There is no "end-all" perfect set that everyone MUST have.

#9 ·
A lot of the specialized oem stuff are low-end wellgos.

Three good pedals are Specialized Lo Pro Magnesium Platform 2s which have 4 bearings, Wellgo MG1s and of course the DMR V12 which has an optional ti spindle kit.

Plenty of people don't like the 5050x/5050xx due to the pins falling out/not giving very much grip.

#11 ·
I ride with Transitions Step Down pedals. They run $59. I know it's a bit out of your range but they grip real well. I've bought two sets of them from the guys at Ride-This (not to far from you) and they will let you ride a shop bike if they have one in with them on it. I'd save a bit and at least take a look at them.

#12 ·
I've got the Sun/Ringle Zu-Zu and they work great for me. They taken a beating for 1 year now and are still going strong, sticky too. I've got a question that fits in with this thread. How heavy are the 5.10 shoes? I use platforms on my cross country rides too, would they be much more heavy then the running shoes I use now?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.