Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Hayes Brakes or Avid Brakes (Hydraulics)

1K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  AKRida 
#1 ·
I have searched through the internet several times and found a few threads on hayes hfx 9's vs. juicy 7 and such and I searched through to find some info about both of these brakes in general. Being a die hard Hayes fan ever since I started biking I have a hard time switching from this brand. I am given the opportunity to choose either Hayes Mag HD's or something out of the Avid Juicy line. Should I stick with Hayes or go with something from Avid? What I am really asking is how these two brands compare to each other performance wise and which are stronger?

P.S. Oh yeah, can Avid's brake levers be adjusted to feel harder to push, or are they mushy like a feather when you touch them? My friend has Avid 7's and his levers feel way too soft when pressing. Hayes feel much more firm to me and you are less likely to accidently jam the lever, IMO.....???

Thanks, Shredder111:cool:

#5 ·
Get Avid's New Code brakes. I just went through this same problem and I am glad I made the switch to these brakes. like you, i felt bad leaving Hayes, but they just let me down one to many times. These Codes are the perfect brakes, and you can find them for $150/each online which is a pretty good deal.

#6 ·
I was thinking about the codes but I saw they were like 220$ a piece on price point. Where can I find them for 150$, do you have any links? Saints look fine, but I don't want them because I want to run matched components. I am running everything from sram/ truvativ.

Thanks, Shredder111=)

#9 ·
I was a die hard Hayes fan, I went in to go-ride to just get a bleed on a pain in the ass caliper. Started looking around, talked to the guys there and I bought a pair of Juicy Sevens. I really am impressed with the modulation and power, I luckliy haven't had the dreaded juicy squeal. I have one good ride on them so far I think you will be happy with the juicy's. JK

#15 ·
Karupshun said:
Codes would be complete overkill for you shred

I would wait for the new Hayes stroker series to make it's appearance this summer

they just might be the bombdiggity
Why would they be overkill? Some of the decents here can get long we are nestled in 1000 foot, foot hills:eekster: Lolz. Hayes stroker aren't for DH I think. I will probably go with the juicy 7's to see what the rant is all about but if I find cheaper codes for juicy prices I will opt. codies.

#18 ·
the strokers are rated to be fully capable for DH & FR there's a peek in the new decline I believe too
https://www.sicklines.com/2007/04/06/hayes-stroker-update/
https://www.sicklines.com/news-images/strokerspec.jpg

There's more info out there showing that these are an excellent option to Avid Js. Look around

1000ft of decension isn't exactly a lot, and certinly not code-necessary. You're not going to drag your brakes the entire way down either, are you?

I weigh in at 232 pounds fully dressed /w a 45lbs bike. Codes have gobs more power than I need. Unless you are the size of a coca-cola machine, save the money and buy something that is suited for you.

You should be looking at J7 or the Ryde

#20 ·
Avid vs. Hayes

I have a unique solution to your dilemma. I rock a Hayes on the front and an Avid on the back. When I am braking to save my life, I barely notice the difference. On the less severe downhill I like the Avid, but it is also newer. I got it after my Hayes broke. Breakage wasn't the brakes fault, but the bikes. This response was useless for you, but I'm wasting some time.

#22 ·
Hayes in my opinion is not in the league or Avid or Magura anymore, thier HFX 9's are about as unreliable peices of poo you can get, the Hayes Mag's are decent, the Elcamino's have the strength of a cheap XC brake and are poorly priced.

Best brake around is Magura Gustav, from what i've tried anyways which consists of the Hope M4's, Avid Jucy 7 Carbons (current brake, work great, nothing against them just doesn't have near the stopping power the gustav's have!), Hayes HFX-9's, Mag's, Avid Mechanicals bb7's *rather use these brakes than Hayes hfx'9's for sure...* and more.....

I'll give my vote to Avid hands down if those are your 2 choices, Gustav's are mad pimp but are heavier, and are not cheap Avid is a good comprimise!.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.