Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

If YoU hAd ThIs BiKe WhAt WoUld YoU UpGrade?

2K views 32 replies 28 participants last post by  Imperial 
#1 ·
Gday!
I have got a Norco Rival and i use it for a bit of freeride, urban, downhill, jumping and all mountain. I'm getting in2 downhill and i was wondering what is some cheap, affordable things that could make my rival an average downhiller bike.
Any opinions or anythin will be help!!!
Thanx!
:D

2007 Norco Rival

Model Name: Rival
Category Name: Mountain
Sub-category Name: Adventure X
Suggested Retail CAD: 875
Suggested Retail US: 775
Suggested Retail AUS: 899
Frameset
Frame: Strategically shaped aluminum tubing, square to round tapered mainframe, disc mount
Fork: Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 4, 120mm travel
Colour01: Grey
Colour02: Black
Colour03: Unavailable
Wheelset
Front Hub: KT disc, 36 hole
Rear Hub: KT disc, 36 hole
Front Rim: Sun SOS, double wall, 32 hole
Rear Rim: Sun SOS, double wall, 32 hole
Spokes: Stainless 2.0
Front Tire: Kenda Nevegal, 2.35
Rear Tire: Kenda Nevegal, 2.35
Brakeset
Front Brake: Avid BB5 mechanical, 6" rotor
Rear Brake: Avid BB5 mechanical, 6" rotor
Brake Levers: Avid mechanical
Drivetrain
Crankset: Truvativ Blaze, 22/32/bash guard, Power Spline BB
Pedals: Wellgo LU-313, boron axles
Chain: KMC Z-72
Freewheel: Shimano HG-30, 8 speed, 11-30
Front Derailleur: Shimano Acera, 31.8
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Alivio, 8 speed
Front Shifter: Shimano M-410
Rear Shifter: Shimano M-410
Bottom Bracket: Unavailable

Attachments

See less See more
#13 ·
this may sound silly, but you said affordable things. i'd change that seatpost. land hard on your saddle once and brrraapppp...other than that, just ride it. nothing on it is TOO bad. as you break sh!t, replace it. no point in getting a new rr derailleur if you're just gonna smash it up anyway right? eventually you might want some hydros but i hear the avids are nice.

#14 ·
yeah. just ride it man. ...and, if you're doing a lot of jumps, drops, and even just really rocky trails, your chain might pop off the rings on you a lot. so... maybe a chain guide/tensioner is worth a look. ...but take it as it comes. if it's not a problem for you, spend money on other stuff. but other than the little things, i'd say tires and brakes first. ...big ones.

#20 ·
I personally own that fork and it is the worst for money can buy. It has no rebound damping. There is no oil or air in the fork whatsoever. It is just a spring in each side and that is it. Without the damping the forks rebound is realllly fast and it tops out with a hard clunk every time you unweight the front end, wheelies, curbs, rocks, hops, jumps, etc. Very annoying.

#23 ·
Chicken D said:
Gday!
I have got a Norco Rival and i use it for a bit of freeride, urban, downhill, jumping and all mountain. I'm getting in2 downhill and i was wondering what is some cheap, affordable things that could make my rival an average downhiller bike.
Any opinions or anythin will be help!!!
Definitely get a kickstand...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.