Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Aonic Outlaws

844 views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  FCLINDER 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with these wheels. Are the rims, hubs any good. Does the rear hub have good engagement. I am considering getting these wheels for my dh bike.

#6 ·
I like mine a lot so far...
I've had custom built wheels before that used the Alex Supra D's (rather expensive by themselves) and was very happy (as well as an oem set of Supra BH/formulas)... but now that the Outlaw is available for so cheap, I can't believe I paid that much for the customs!
The Oulaw uses the Supra D fyi... has a very nice weight and a great profile as well as alloy that doesn't dent as easily as other rims I've had.

Also, the part that made them really stick out to me was the fact the hubs are convertible and even better, the rear is convertible to 12mm thru axle, which is EXACTLY what I needed.

Engagement is alright, nothing to write much praise about, but nothing to complian about either. Possibly better than a typical budget build XT hub.
And, I have yet to see the problem, but have read of several others having problems with seized rear hub bearings, but I've greased and cleaned mine just hoping for the best.

their weight is nice too, especially for this price, very solid bet.

#9 ·
Fresh Outlaw thread

Since this is a fresh, new Outlaw thread. I had just bought a "as new"used set myself and seem really nice. I needed a rear 12mm thru axle, so these fit my budget.

The ghetto tubeless went stupid easy with Nokian Gazzoladi Jr. 2.6 tires, mounted tire by hand and sealed up tight as a drum. Read more on this here http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=290516

I have done searches and read all the Outlaw threads before buying.

I have read that there is some of these rims that are welded and some that are pinned. Is there any truth in this? Mine have a visible seam, so I'm guessing mine are pinned. Is this a strength issue?

I have also read that breaking spokes can be an issue. I noticed that the spokes seem to have a high tension. I'm not a wheel builder so I couldn't tell you if this is good or bad or what is the proper tension?

Does anyone know what the proper spoke tension should be on these wheels? I would like to have them checked by the LBS.

#14 ·
Rover Nick said:
Anyone know the weight of a set of Outlaws?
Here you go. I posted this on RM a few months back. This is for the 135mm set. I would add about 30 grams more on the rear for the 150mm set. Also a few other wheels to compair too.

Results:
Azonic Outlaws
Front: 1118 Grams
Rear: 1328 Grams

Mavic DEEMAX
Front: 1120 Grams
Rear: 1330 Grams

DT Swiss FR 2350
Front: 1070 Grams
Rear: 1180 Grams

Sun/Ringle Single Track
Front: 1100 Grams
Rear: 1220 Grams

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.