Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

3m paint protection film

5K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  006_007 
#1 ·
anyone out there ever put 3m paint protection film in frames? I install it on vehicles and have dabbled with it on frames. seems to work pretty well.

#4 ·
King Gull said:
anyone out there ever put 3m paint protection film in frames? I install it on vehicles and have dabbled with it on frames. seems to work pretty well.
Yes, I and a couple of friends use it fairly extensively - it works great

I use it to protect the downtube from rocks getting kicked up, and in various spots to protect from cable rub

it's on all 3 of my frames, one anno and two pc'd - and it peels off just fine without taking the paint in my experience...

I use it on forks for cable rub as well...

#7 ·
Arkayne said:
I wish I had some of that stuff yesterday. I had this good sized rock get kicked up and go CLANG on my downtube and the impact chipped away a dime size piece of paint. Where do I get this 3m stuff anyway?
auto parts places on line carry it - google 3m paint protection film

#10 ·
I have it on my frames as well, all 3 are pc'd white. one tip that I found to be helpful is to first cut the piece to the dimensions that you want, then right before you install it, heat it up with a hairdryer (lightly), so it makes it soft and a little more plyable, then apply it while warm and it conforms alot better to the frame (i.e. curves, bends, etc).

#14 ·
I love how the Totem makes the downtube appear small......

Dusty Bottoms said:
I have it literally ALL OVER this bike and you'd never see it unless I pointed it out to you. This stuff protects against cable rub, shoe rub, chain rub/slap, and even rock kick ups on the downtube. I highly recommend it. Definitely helps retain re-sale value.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.