Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Sram X-9, Shimano saint?

598 views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  Rover Nick 
#1 ·
what are the bennifits of each, the X-9 i will be buying shifter set as well, whereas the saint i will just stick with the shifters i have.

oh and did i miss anything on mtbr in the few months ive been away?

#3 ·
I'd have to agree. I jumped for the Jenson deal: bought the derailleur and a problem solvers axle. I had a difficult time getting the low-normal dialed in correctly, so brought it to my LBS. Now my cable is stretched and I have to figure out how to dial it in again. However, these are all typical derailleur issues. I really like the design and strength of the Saint, but I just don't think it was worth it. High-normal X9s with impulse triggers just seem totally natural when you need to accelerate quickly (whole point of downhill), compared to the sluggish thumb-driven upshift with low-normal.

Additional Note: I was told by my LBS service guy that, unlike X9s which will rip off on hard impacts, Saints have the irritating tendency of exploding at the pivots. I have not yet had the opportunity to confirm this.

#9 ·
Bah

Use the saint - smoother, quieter...

sram doesnt shift better clean, maybe dirty if you have a shite mechanic. Only downside to shimano is clakkity clak...

omn second thought, get X.0, a Totem and a 40RC2

then you can glom around with all the other hype-o-matic status...

#10 ·
I don't like it when my shifts are smooth and queit. I like it when there is a noticable "click". Sram has a more solid feel too it also.

The one place where the saint excells is durability. But thats not a problem if you don't hit stuff. I live in a super-rocky place, but belive me, it only takes a couple derailluers before you start picking better lines. If everybody else is getting through a section without wrecking their derailluers, then you can too.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, by not liking them smooth and queit doesn't mean I like them full of gunk and running horribly, either

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.