Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Marzocchi fork top out

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  milenine 
#1 ·
I bought a low end Kona DJ bike with a Marzocchi DJ 4 fork. I was not expecting the fork to be phenomenal but the forks top out is very annoying. Any time you unweight the fork it makes a clunking noise as the sag is taken up and tops out. This fork has extremely limited adjustments... spring preload, that seems to be all. I have tried spinning it all the way clockwise and all the way counter clockwise. It feels the same both ways. Anyone have any other ideas how to prevent the fork from topping out. If the rebound was slower I think it would take care of it. Would a different weight of oil change the rebound speed since there is no adjuster?

#3 ·
Changing the oil weight will also affect compression damping...maybe a good thing, maybe not. If you have severe top out, at least leave the spring preload in the minimum setting...as far counterclockwise as it will turn. I'm guessing that fork has a simple ported, orifice damper...like SSV. If it does, some of them have an internal rebound adjustment that requires a long hex rod to insert into the top end of the damper...but then, some of them don't. Find out if yours has an internal rebound adjuster. If it does, then slow that sucker down with some more rebound input, and that will help top out.

If you use thicker weight oil, that will slow the rebound down also, but it may hurt compression damping to an unacceptable degree. Maybe your spring rate is too stiff also. But then, as others have already pointed out, don't spend much money on that thing.

#5 ·
I'm not sure the DJ 4 actually uses any type of dampening. its probably a bunch of tensioned rubber bands. The DJ 4 is a REALLY crappy fork. much worse than marzocchi's old dirt jam products. Save up for a stance, gold label, argyle or a real marzocchi fork.

for now you'll just have to live with it. I have a stance I'll sell you for dirt cheap, but the steerer might not be long enough (7.5")

#7 ·
HAHAH...yess!! I have that crap stick to. Just throw it away!!

Spring Pre-load???? That fork dose not have pre-load. It just has two air-assist caps on each leg. Don't tell me your spinning those thinking it's pre-load.

Just pump those valves up till you don't bottom out.

#11 ·
Ojai Bicyclist said:
Yes, I'm pretty sure it has DAMPING (I frikken' hate when people say dampening). How the hell would it use tensioned rubber bands? It's definately not an elastamer fork...

Although it could just be springs like the MZ Comp. But if it is damped then you could run more/thicker oil.
it was a joke man. C'mon, tensioned rubber bands ....that would be funny. I wouldent be suprized to find something like that in the OEM DJ 4-3 forks. them and their fancy damnpenning. :thumbsup:

#16 ·
ok so marzocchi tech said that i should change the oil weight from 7w to 10 or even 15w. I went and bought some 15w... I pulled the top caps and there is zero oil in either side. Not sure if this cheap of a model is supposed to have no oil or if they just forgot to put it in there. AHH. Please recommend some good forks that won't break the bank. What would be good that I could look for used?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.