Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Whats your SX build

2K views 34 replies 21 participants last post by  King Gull 
#1 ·
just built mine up moving stuff over from my old vt and using some new Fox 36 float forks .Weighs 35lb just wondered what other people had them down too? is a ti spring worth it? pics and weight appreciated.:)

#3 ·
I would love to know how you guys got your sx that light. I have an 07 sxt III sm, ti spring, 06 66 rc2x, king hs, protaper 31.8 bars, diablous 30mm stem,ruffian lock-ons, diety end caps, juicy 7s, thompson seat post cut down, sdg ti fly saddle, Hugi fr dt swiss/440 hubs w/dt 6.1d rims,2.5 nevegals, dh tubes, x-7 8spd rear shifter, x9 short der,8spd xtr steel cass, skf fr600 bb, 165mm middleburn cranks, e-13 srs, ringle mag pedals. It is still comming in around 38lbs. Did one of you guys hide lead in my frame?

#4 ·
34.5 lbs: Vanillla R shock for almost 5 inches of travel, 32mm Talas R fork for 130mm travel, King Headset, Planet X qr front wheel/WeirWolf 2.5 fr tire, Bontrager RaceLite Tubless rear with Conti Explorer 2.1, Turvativ Stylo Cranks, sram drivetrain, Gamut P30 with 36t, 11-34 cassette, WTB road saddle, Truvativ 60mm stem, Easton Monkey light bars, shimano Deore 525 hydro brakes.

Super fun bike, but I want to get back on an air shock for stock geometry. Right now the BB is almost at 13", and the headtube is kinda steep.

#5 ·
quickneonrt said:
I would love to know how you guys got your sx that light. I have an 07 sxt III sm, ti spring, 06 66 rc2x, king hs, protaper 31.8 bars, diablous 30mm stem,ruffian lock-ons, diety end caps, juicy 7s, thompson seat post cut down, sdg ti fly saddle, Hugi fr dt swiss/440 hubs w/dt 6.1d rims,2.5 nevegals, dh tubes, x-7 8spd rear shifter, x9 short der,8spd xtr steel cass, skf fr600 bb, 165mm middleburn cranks, e-13 srs, ringle mag pedals. It is still comming in around 38lbs. Did one of you guys hide lead in my frame?
it's your tires and tubes... switch to a 2.35 tubless system and you will drop down to their weight.

#10 ·
dbabuser said:
BnS - no more Nomad? How do they compare?
Nope, no more nomad. To sum it up I would say my old Nomad climbs better and the SX descends better.

My Nomad was 3 to 4 lbs lighter, had a steeper HA and had air shocks front and rear.

The SX is way more slack and has coil shocks.

I never liked the DHX Air or the 36 talas I had on my Nomad. I really like the DHX coil and Vanilla 36. The DHX Air blew threw it travel way too easy.

The SX is confidence inspiring, brakes better, feels bottomless.

I would go into more detail but I gotta run, how have you been J?

#12 ·
Jeremy, your SX is absolutely beautiful.

Are you using that to race as well, because I've been wanting to get into racing but I dont have the financial means as a college student to have a trailbike and a DH bike (even with working at a shop!), but that would be perfect for an all in one.

#14 ·
AmPb100 said:
Jeremy, your SX is absolutely beautiful.

Are you using that to race as well, because I've been wanting to get into racing but I dont have the financial means as a college student to have a trailbike and a DH bike (even with working at a shop!), but that would be perfect for an all in one.
Yeah, that is definitely my DH race bike.
I went from a Demo 8 last year to this SX trail for 07.
I race on the East Coast with a lot of tight twisty trails, and it feels great.

#15 ·
That, my friend, is a thing of beauty!

Never seen an SX so nice.....

puts mine to shame. Tempted now to do that to mine. Especially like the CC DB shock matey......

No pics of mine I am afraid, but mine is light. But yours is just the muts nuts!!

(for what it's worth, I have 36 VAN, Ti spring DHX coil, 5.1 on Hope Pro II (and Ti XC rear), Thomson stem, gravity dropper post, XT cranks, E13 DRS, XT/XTR with Sram attack shifters, Carbon Monkeylight DH bars, XT brakes, Avid clean sweep rotors, goodridge hoses and pads, SRAM cassette, Maxxis super tacky 2.35 minion front and rear (single ply) or Schwalbe big betty 2.4 ooey gluey tyres.)

Comes out not bad - I think it's 32/33lbs fighting weight (scales in local shop not that reliable....)

#24 ·
quickneonrt said:
Here is what would save you quite a bit of weight...

Different fork
Different stem
Lighter tubes
Gamut guide or E13 lg1

That is all I can think of at the moment.

#25 ·
Jeremy R said:
Yeah, that is definitely my DH race bike.
I went from a Demo 8 last year to this SX trail for 07.
I race on the East Coast with a lot of tight twisty trails, and it feels great.
Funny, your name came up yesterday while I was on the phohe with I-9. I ordered bue wheels like yours with a differenet rim combo. I'll bring my twin Blue to masnuts. May see you there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.