Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Beginner tips and questions:

509 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  SHIVER ME TIMBERS 
#1 ·
After reading for hours and days on this board, I put together list for someone wanting to get into DH racing (namely me). I still have some questions at the end.

Bike: Used. You will crash and break stuff. If you get hooked by the DH bug, buy a nice bike later. (and when you quit crashing multiple times a run)

Bikes most often mentioned (sub 2k range used) Kona Stinky, Santa Cruz Bullit. Specialized Demo/Big Hit, Intense M1

Armor: Yes. (Double Yes for those of us who have to work and feed our family come monday)

Breathe. Do not forget to breathe

Pedal: Pedal in the flats, resist the urge to relax and coast

Brakes: Those are for avoiding roadies duck walking in their carbon soled shoes on the sidewalk outside Pete's coffee. No business on the race course.

Look: Look ahead at the course, not at what your tire is going over

Walk: Walk the course first.

Warm up: Just like in a XC or roadie race, get your heart moving before your run

Fun: Ride to have fun, do not ride out of your comfort zone (by too much)

Camel back (unless you have your own SAG)

Tires: Set pressure when you first get there and leave it.

No partial runs: Your practice runs, do the whole course, concentrate on the on the sketchy sections, but ride it all to the bottom

Anymore I missed?

Okies, my questions:

1st: I am in between sizes on bike. I could ride a M or a L. Which way would you lean in regards to DH sizing?

2nd: Another fit question. I am so used to riding so far bent over (aka roadie/XC) that my vision blurs from the blood pooling in my cranium, that anytime I try out a DH rig, if I sit down, I look like a 5 year old trying to learn to ride with no training wheels. What are the "fit rules" I amm used to: 3- drop from seat to stem. full leg extension, knee over pedal at 3 o'clock position, bars intersect front hub line of sight etc. etc.. I have not found, or just missed finding a starting guide for fit.

Thank you all in advance for any comments, flames or answers.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey glad you want to get into DH.

Two answer your questions, you probably want to get the next smaller size if you are between sizes.

Most people in DH run their seat pretty low, you definitely won't have full extension on your legs. You stand up most of the time anyway during a DH run. So you should run the seat pretty low.

Basically you're just going to have to do what I did when starting out. Make your best guess as to what to get, and then as you figure out your own style you can make adjustments and upgrades as necessary.

#3 ·
Tires: Set pressure when you first get there and leave it. you can switch around pressure...if steeper run lower psi....more pedaling run higher psi

No partial runs: Your practice runs, do the whole course, concentrate on the on the sketchy sections, but ride it all to the bottom

hit and miss...I like to concentrate on hard sections then do one or two complete runs but no hard pedaling....save the hard pedaling for race run

1st: I am in between sizes on bike. I could ride a M or a L. Which way would you lean in regards to DH sizing?...go to smaller size....so the Medium...medium will be lighter and easier to flick around as needed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.