Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

DH tires, what's your trick?

801 views 15 replies 16 participants last post by  davec113 
#1 ·
So I bought some Nevegal's in DH casing. I gave myself about 20 or so mins to put em on. I knew it was going to be tougher (first DH tire installation) than the folding beads I'm used to but damn! 45 mins later after some sore ass thumbs and crisco, I finally got it on. Anyone got a trick they use?

#7 ·
Always start opposite (across from) the valve stem.Go back and forth from one side to the other until you come to the valve stem.If there's any "trick" to it that I've found, it's to ALWAYS make sure that the bead stays in the groove in the middle of the rim; it'll leave a lot more slack to pull the last part of the bead onto the rim (the hard part).Soapy water, as everyone else said, and levers help.Sometimes I use Windex.Bead wax is even better.Hope that helps.

#13 ·
#15 ·
A little soap helps but isn't usually necessary. This is more about finesse than muscle. Even big o'l 2.5 wire bead DH casing tires can be installed on most rims without the use of levers. The trick is to carefully work bead down into the groove in the rim, and keep it down in there while you work your way around. I know it sounds crazy, but if you take your time and carefully work the tire onto the rim, you'll almost never need additional tools.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.