Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Perp, Gemini, Bighit2 which one?

2K views 25 replies 24 participants last post by  dbabuser 
#1 ·
I was wondering which one of these I should get? The bike will be used close to every day on downhill,dirt jumps,dual slalom, and resorts in the summer.The bike needs to be able to take a big hit and wholed up to everyday abuse.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
In my opinion, depending on your price range, get the Perp. The Big Hit used to be an excellent bike, but recently I think they have made poor decisions with that bike. The Gemini of course is a proven design, but of course has flaws. Single pivot unstaged travel. It is nice that you can change the amount of travel three different ways and it has a Thru-12 rear. Overall, I would say do the Perp. I have heard great things about this bike and have had some time on one. It has a nimble feel and the suspension is awesome. The linkage really helps stage the travel and offers a "bottomless feel". The geometry is great too. You can also change the travel from 180 to 200 which is nice.

My vote is for the Perp. You wont be disappointed by it trust me. The Perp is a great replacement for the Gemini because the linkage gives you more travel and minimal "brake jack" (which honestly you will never notice).

#6 ·
TheProphet said:
In my opinion, depending on your price range, get the Perp. The Big Hit used to be an excellent bike, but recently I think they have made poor decisions with that bike. The Gemini of course is a proven design, but of course has flaws. Single pivot unstaged travel. It is nice that you can change the amount of travel three different ways and it has a Thru-12 rear. Overall, I would say do the Perp. I have heard great things about this bike and have had some time on one. It has a nimble feel and the suspension is awesome. The linkage really helps stage the travel and offers a "bottomless feel". The geometry is great too. You can also change the travel from 180 to 200 which is nice.

My vote is for the Perp. You wont be disappointed by it trust me. The Perp is a great replacement for the Gemini because the linkage gives you more travel and minimal "brake jack" (which honestly you will never notice).
Word another vote for the perp. Pretty much a mini judge.

#7 ·
Those bikes aren't comparable

Not exactly sure, but I think the perp picture would be about double the price of the Bighit model pictured and about triple the price of the Gemini. They are all great bikes but if you are asking which one of those, then it is Perp hands down. I have never talked to anyone who owns a Gemini and doesn't love it unless they have a cheap basic suspension set up. IMO the Gemini is one of the best all around bikes out there. Cannondale is one of those companies that people seem to love to hate (I used to until I got a great deal that I couldn't pass up on a Gemini DH). Most haters have never even ridden the bikes they just don't like the company. I have become a devoted Cannondale fan. I love my Gemini, my boys love their Chases and Prophets and so far my kids new Judge appears to be a great improvement on the Gemini which was allready a great bike. By the way, we had an older model Bighit and it was a great bike also.

#10 ·
I would go Bighit. Some people say that there is uncontroable ammount of pedal bob and it cant be pedaled. Last week a guy from Santa Cruz was down in the east bay. He climb his bighit farther than anyone I have ever seen. Even the XC guys couldnt do it!!!!! It just takes determination.

the new bighits look sick!!!

#11 ·
If you could get a used older Gemini, one with great components spec, then that would be a great bike, very versatile and somewhat light. Otherwise I'd go with a Perp. Newer design and you can pretty much used it for anything you want to.

#12 ·
At Sea Otter I hoped on a Perp for a couple minutes. It pedaled really well. The 3 staged travel works really well. The pivot is placed in the ideal position for a 36T front ring. Combine that with a 24T granny gear and you have an awesome FR bike that can get you to the top of the hill and not hold you back at all when going down.

I would go Perp for a number of reasons.

1. Staged linkage rate
2. Adjustable travel 180mm ot 200mm (in case you want to do more DH'ing you can toss 200mm fork on it and be ready to go)
3. Unintereupted seat tube (the BH's is way too small to do any pedaling
4. Available factory designed floating brake
5. 12mm x 150mm rear hub size makes for a stiff wheel build
6. For the price the build is awesome. A lot of people really like the Domain fork.

Perp 2 MSRP :$2699.99
BH 2 MSRP :$2200.00

I'm going to replace my AS-X with a Perp 1 frame very shortly. Plan is to ditch the Vanilla R and replace it with a ROCO TST.

#18 ·
I would go with perp you will love it.

I love the way it rides.

On other note.
Anyone know if where I can find a lower price for the Cane Creek Double Barrel rear shock.

My LBS said he will match that price. I know it Retail at $650. Someone has to have it for cheaper than that.

LMK Thanx.

#23 ·
the perp is still single pivot from the pic im looking at above..that linkage doesnt change the axle path or anything..plus cannondale has a bad habbit of welding their bikes 3 times then they sand them. my friend destroyed his gemini within 5 hard rides using it.. and from what your saying your going to be riding alot and hard, so i would honestly go with specialized where your prob not going to blow up the frame.and when i say blow up, i mean snap the top tube, snap the swingarm in 3 places and crack the head tube.

#24 ·
the perp is still single pivot from the pic im looking at above..that linkage doesnt change the axle path or anything..plus cannondale has a bad habbit of welding their bikes 3 times then they sand them. my friend destroyed his gemini within 5 hard rides using it.. and from what your saying your going to be riding alot and hard, so i would honestly go with specialized where your prob not going to blow up the frame.and when i say blow up, i mean snap the top tube, snap the swingarm in 3 places and crack the head tube.

#25 ·
motormonkeyr6 said:
I would go Bighit. Some people say that there is uncontroable ammount of pedal bob and it cant be pedaled. Last week a guy from Santa Cruz was down in the east bay. He climb his bighit farther than anyone I have ever seen. Even the XC guys couldnt do it!!!!! It just takes determination.

the new bighits look sick!!!
That says nothing about the bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.