Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Hydrolic vs. Mechanical!!??

621 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  crisillo 
#1 ·
I have been having not so good luck with my Hayes Mag discs on my Bullit( my dh bike) They do not have nearly the breaking power as my new Avid bb7 on my Yeti(my trail bike) I put new pads on them and even bled them out really well. Still no good. This is my first set of hydro breaks , and I am not too impressed. I guess my question is, Are Avid bb7 with a 8" rotor good for down hill on my bullit?:madman:

#2 ·
It is odd that your hydros have little breaking power. I have a set of BB7's on my DJ bike and I run Shimano Hydros on my Freeride bike. I actually prefer the hydros OVER the BB7s'. Do you have a bleader kit? Wait... you said you bled them,,,, hmmm

I love the BB7's too though, they are a great set of mechanical breaks. I like mechanical because with a few tywraps and a pair of pliers you can get them up an running again in the case of a mishap on the trail. The hydros on the other hand... leave you with an oily mess and no breaks to stop with, that is if you happen to crash and rupture the lines. Both cases have happened, unfortunately. :skep:

#4 ·
you would be suprized. I actually have a Hayes MX2 that has more braking power than I'm used to. Some mechanicals will be great, others not so great. this is almost more so with hydros. my friend couldn't get his magura's working how he liked them. he switched back to his Hayes Sole and now uses the magura's for XC. strange stuff.

#5 ·
you might have a leak somewhere.......if you hold the lever down solid for some time does it feel like it is "giving" ??? try bleeding with a syringe...works way better

also you might have contaminated pads if you can't skid....replace and clean rotors with rubbing alcohol...

oh yeah welcome to the forum

#6 ·
No leaks! When I pull the lever to the grip and hold it, It is solid! The front grabs(not like my bb7) The rear not so well. I wil try to clean the pads and rotors with alcohol. Some of you said Shimanos are easy to install, maintain and they work well. Which ones? Saints, xt?? I heard Hope is good, but hard to set up and maintain? I am not to inpressed with the Hayes. :madman:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.