Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Besides the bike, what else do I need?

3K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  OuterNational 
#1 ·
After I get my bike, what else should I absolutely need to get? A helmet is obvious.

#2 ·
Helmet, Shoes if you are runnin clippless pedals. Some kind of Hydration (Bottle and cage, or pack like a camelback)I prefer the camelbackas it gives yo a place to put the rest of what you will need to carry. Extra Tube, patch kit, Pump that you can carry and posssibly a multi tool to deal with life's little challenges.

I am sure that i am forgetting something but this is a good start.

#3 ·
I would also suggest a good pair...

of gloves. Whether you intend to off road or urban ride they REALLY help save the hands when you dump it. A way to take water along is always a good idea as well. Water bottles and cages work, or a good hydration pack are the two best methods. I personally use the bottle and cage for short rides and the hydro pack for longer rides. Eye protection for off road if you ride in brushy areas is a must! And of course a spare tube, patch kit, multi tool, and a frame pump or inflator are a good idea no matter where you ride. Getting stuck 5 miles out with a flat and no way to fix it means a long walk back! How you carry these items is up to you. A seat bag will work or if you use a hydration pack you can stick the stuff in it, the usually have outside pockets for gear. From there it's pretty much personal preference. There are those that go out for a ride loaded down with 10lbs of crap, they are the "prepare for the worst" crowd. Then there are those that go out with water a tube and a frame pump, they're the "minimalist" bunch. Most folks fall somewhere in between the two.

For economy and to start, gloves, a seat bag, spare tube, patch kit, frame pump, water bottles and cages, and a pair of tire levers. That'll get you started and be reasonably cheap. You can add to the list as you gain experience. I say experience because where and how you ride may require more or less of something or additions to what you carry. Like if the area you ride in is prone to thorns, you may want to carry two tubes and a patch kit, or if there is allot of poison oak or the like, you may want to carry something for that. You may want to check with other more experienced riders in your area and see what they use as well. Those that ride the trails the you will be riding will know what you'll need most.

Eventually your "kit" will become personallized for you. But for now the above will get you started.

Good Dirt

#5 ·
i'm sure other have said most of this but i'm too lazy to read it all, but you need: bike, helmet, some riding gloves, water bottles/hydration pack, riding "clothes" (i just wear some comfortable cargo shorts, a t-shirt and some running shoes, but you could buy "proper" attire), patch kits, a spare tube, chain cleaner & lube, a floor pump/mini pump, and a multi-tool. I'm assuming you'll have basic hand tools which will help, but eventually you'll need a more specialized bike tool kit. That's what I got started off with as I have friends who prety nmuch have everything else I would need. Little by little start buying more gear when you have the chance and see it on sale, don't wait until you need the tool as that gets annoying when you're in the middle of something and you have to go down to the shop to buy the tool and pay the non-sale price.

#7 ·
Gloves, some way to carry water, multitool, tube, pump, tyre levers, patch kit, cell phone if you have one.

A cotton shirt can really feel wet... I got some running shirts that do not absorb sweat.

Running shoes are too flexible if you plan to ride some distance. Cycling shoes are a good idea, or you might find some stiff skateboarding shoes for using flat pedals.

#9 ·
resette said:
I have almost everything listed but what is extra tube and what is it for? It's hard to tell by the name because it's so generic =). Also what are tire levers? Is their a website with any basic info about this kind of (on-trail bike repair) stuff?
Tube? The rubber inflated thing in your tire that keeps the show on the road.

Tire levers, couple of plastic spoon like gadgets that help get that tire off the rim so you can change tubes.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/

#12 ·
Do you favor those co2 pumps over a little hand pump that say, crank bros makes?

Yeah I have a camel back, holds 4 liters of h20! Enough for a full days riding, its perfect.

On the topic of helmets, what do you say, because I was looking at some, and alot were over $100! Thats alot of money to spend, but I suppose you cant put a price on your head...

ciao.

#13 ·
There are a lot of really good suggestions here. I'd also add a front and rear light...even if they are just the little LED blinker type units. You never know when it'll be a little dark when you're riding back home from a local trail and some cop with an attitude will hassle you for not having lights.

#15 ·
I prefer pumps to CO2, because I hate creating waste that I have to carry out of the woods and get rid of. Also, a pump does not run out of air while you might run out of those CO2 containers.

Helmets is a personal choice. Check that it has some sort of certification for safety and it fits your head. I have had some trouble with the "fit" part. Heads come in different shapes and sizes, so do helmets. More money buys you more adjustability, better ventilation, lighter weight and bling.... but if it hurts your head just to put it on it is useless.

#16 ·
As far as pumps or co2 inflators go....

It depends on where you ride. In flat prone areas a pump hands down. In areas where flats aren't that big of a problem the inflator is fine. Where I ride if I get two flats a year it's unusual. I carry an inflator with 2 16 gram cartridges. That'll inflate two average MTB tires to around 30 to 35 psi. I've used it exactly twice in the last 3 years. So for my area the inflator works great. It fits in my seat bag with the other stuff and is out of the way till needed. However, I like to go to North Dakota now and then and ride the Maah Daah Hey trail. They have quite a few thorns and small cacti if you get off trail. So the pump is the way to go there. Lots of potential for flats. So two tubes and a large patch kit in the bag and a frame pump are the rule there. Like I said earlier, terrain and experience will be your ultimate guide when it comes to what you carry. If in doubt then go with the frame pump. As was mentioned, they don't "run out" of gas to inflate your tires! CO2 inflators are great, easy to use, small, and they do the job very quickly, but they do have their limitations. And that is you can only carry so many cartridges for them. You're choice, but chose wisely.

Good Dirt

#20 ·
Ive skimmed most the suggestions here and have some other thoughts. As a beginner myself I have some other suggestions. The tube, multi-tool (i have park tool with an attached tire lever and chain tool) I carry a small section of chain just incase something happens to that, I also carry a couple bandaids and some asprin for aches - nothing ruins a good ride like getting blood all over your bike from falling or something. As far as gloves go I got a set of Ergon grips instead and they work wonders for the sore hands. Clipless pedals and shoes are a great upgrade. I decided to carry everything in a fanny pack i found at walmart for 5 dollars and it works great. I bring my camera, phone and keys so a bigger pack is great for me. And remember, dont go spending all your money right away - your going to break stuff and want to upgrade so skimp where you can now and you will be happier later.

#21 ·
How about a computer? It's always cool to know the facts about your ride--the distance, the avg speed, the max speed, etc. You can get a $20 Catseye, a $400 Garmin Edge 305 gps, or something in between. Data is fun!:thumbsup:

Also, if you like to ride with an iPod, I'd suggest Sennheiser "twist-in" sport headphones. They actually stay in your ears, and they don't totally block out all ambient noises!

#22 ·
davidws said:
As far as gloves go I got a set of Ergon grips instead and they work wonders for the sore hands.
:nono:
Nice grips will not help much if your hands are the first thing to hit the ground on a crash, or you ride a bit too close to the vegetation on some narrow trail.

Bloody shins I can live with but bloody hands are a pain.

#24 ·
Gloves?
- full finger
- right size for you
- toughish surface to protect your paws
- not slippery
- breathable / washable

Some gloves have all sorts of padding to keep your blood circulation and nervous system functional. some people will swear that those things work. You might also find rubber inserts, etc, for additional protection.

I just walk into a bike shop and try on what they have. Then I make my decision based on cost, comfort and color :D

I have also found usable gloves in general sports stores.

#26 ·
I always though motocross gloves would be heavier and less breathable than I'd want, but I have never actually had a pair in my hands.

The gloves that I use are not very thick and every time I do a "real" ride they end up soaked with sweat.... and I am not in a hot climate.

I have an unused pair of gloves sold for this silly looking exercise where you walk with "ski poles". I think they will work fine for my cross country oriented rides. For going fast on the more rocky trails, I'll take a pair that has thicker fabric and some of those rubber inserts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.