Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Can we talk about WHEELS please?

736 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  AndrewTO 
#1 ·
Thanks.

I wanna start making changes. Changes in the way I live. Changes in the way I transport myself from here to there. One of the things i've been looking into 'on and off' are these electric wheel kits you can buy from a variety of sources. I think it's quite interesting to have this potential. No, it's not free, but it can be pretty inexpensive depending on what you compare it against.

Anyways, info seem's scarce. Here's what i'm after;

1) how long do these kits REALLY last? I know, it's subjective and difficult to acertain, but there's gotta be some kind of rough figure.

2) why are these kits so HEAVY?!??! No no, this isn't the weight weenie in me speaking up, really. I understand that there's a battery to consider and the hub itself isn't feathery by any means. I realize that changing the battery can help, but does anyone have anything for the hub?

3) are the current kits available any good, or are they "first generation garbage"? Surely some of you electro-whiz types have seen these and at least had a peek - anything to share?

4) is ANYONE on MTBR using one of these?

I'm tempted to get one of these to see just what it's like. Not caring for the "adds 30 pounds" part, though.

Anyone have any input?

PATIA!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey Andrew
I've got a MTB rigged with electric - souped up with more batteries so i can go faster.

The hub kits like a Crystalyte will last forever if you waterproof it as best you can and don't overamp/overvolt the controller too much.
But as a standard package they will certainly run troublefree for a LONG time.

I've had one for a couple years with no troubles -your batteries are the biggest problem -as in weight,power and cost. I run lithium on mine which is the lightest and most expensive option.

The best forum at the moment is
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/index.php?sid=088611844ce869afbe09638e4164ef4e
-heaps of electrical whizzes there and other normal people who have tried all the electric options out -even electric motorbikes.

Motors with a higher wattage rating will of course have more wire in them -making them a heavier option.But you can get lower wattage rated motors which are lighter and put more power thru them to make them perform better but with a little less efficiency(more waste heat generated).

Some of the cheaper brand hub motors are badly setup and can be a nightmare to get going if you have no electrical knowledge.

Check out the forum -ask your questions -very helpful people there who will try their best to get you hooked up right first go.

Cheers
Dom

#3 ·
poobardog said:
Hey Andrew
I've got a MTB rigged with electric - souped up with more batteries so i can go faster.

The hub kits like a Crystalyte will last forever if you waterproof it as best you can and don't overamp/overvolt the controller too much.
But as a standard package they will certainly run troublefree for a LONG time.

I've had one for a couple years with no troubles -your batteries are the biggest problem -as in weight,power and cost. I run lithium on mine which is the lightest and most expensive option.

The best forum at the moment is
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/index.php?sid=088611844ce869afbe09638e4164ef4e
-heaps of electrical whizzes there and other normal people who have tried all the electric options out -even electric motorbikes.

Motors with a higher wattage rating will of course have more wire in them -making them a heavier option.But you can get lower wattage rated motors which are lighter and put more power thru them to make them perform better but with a little less efficiency(more waste heat generated).

Some of the cheaper brand hub motors are badly setup and can be a nightmare to get going if you have no electrical knowledge.

Check out the forum -ask your questions -very helpful people there who will try their best to get you hooked up right first go.

Cheers
Dom
THANKS Dom! :thumbsup: :cool: Appreciated muchly!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.