Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How about a Internal/External geared hub

2K views 41 replies 13 participants last post by  Obi 
#1 ·
I saw this on ebay. A SACHS 10 speed rear hub; 5 speed freewheel with a 2 speed internal hub; Sacre bleu!

1G1G, Brad

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I'm sure it's an ok piece of gear, but ugh!

Let's see, we could spec it up with a triple chainring mounted to a Schlump Mountain Drive, but if you want to go that way why not get a Rohloff?

#6 ·
Been running a Sachs 3x7 for years with somewhere around 15,000 miles on it and it's quite nice. I've also got it spaced so I can run my TNT 10-tooth "lockring" if I really want a 3x8. I just tore it apart the other day to show another wrench what they look like inside, and all is still good. Of course what any of this has to do with SS I'm not sure, but it us fun.
MonkeyB

#8 ·
It's the first I've heard of either..

aosty said:
SRAM's Dual Drive system is similar... 3s internal hub with a 8/9s cassette body.

Sachs is now owned by SRAM.
It was just different enough to get my attention.

long hazy daze said:
How would you use that on a SS?
I have no idea; probably couldn't. It amazes me how smart other people are:D

Brad

Attachments

#11 · (Edited)
Jeff, Jeff, Jeff..

Hurricane Jeff said:
It seems this post is on the wrong forum.
I can't see how a 10 speed hub with a 5 speed cogset can become a singlespeed.

Not to be an Ahole, but why can't we keep this forum on track and talk about all things that use 1 gear?
First of all you are being an Ahole. But that's all right because we accept all kinds here.

What you may not be aware of is the 2 degrees of singlespeed separation. If some subject came be related to single speed in two levels or less that it is acceptable on this forum. In this case suppose you want to run a 2/3 speed internal hub. Problem is, most are not designed for off road, most MTB frame have verticle dropouts, and your chain line may not be optimal. Then comes along the SRAM dual drive; but how would it solve my problem? First it is 135mm, internal 2/3 speed hub that is MTB rated. So you take this puppy to the forum that is expert in chain lines and drive train tensioning. That would be the SingleSpeed forum. Here it would be explained that you could use spacers on the cassette portion of the hub to adjust the chain line. Then you could use a variety of tensioners that would screw into the the derailleur hanger. The result would be a classy 2/3 speed drivetrain compliments of the SS Forum.

Now anyone who has posted more that 10 times on this Forum would have instantly knew why; I believe you have posted here 3 times out of 34 total posts. Take some time and rear the posts here and you will find out how diverse we really are. :thumbsup:

1G1G, Brad

#12 ·
Brad - thanks for taking the time to clarify to the a-hole... singlespeed forum = alternative drivetrain forum.

aka brad said:
First of all you are being an Ahole. But that's all right because we accept all kinds here.

What you may not be aware of is the 2 degrees of singlespeed separation. If some subject came be related to single speed in two levels or less that it is acceptable on this forum. In this case suppose you want to run a 2/3 speed internal hub. Problem is, most are not designed for off road, most MTB frame have verticle dropouts, and yourchain line may not be optimal. Then comes along the SRAM dual drive; but how would it solve my problem? First it is 135mm, internal 2/3 speed hub that is MTB rated. So you take this puppy to the forum that is expert in chain lines and drive train tensioning. That would be the SingleSpeed forum. Here it would be explained that you could use spacers on the cassette portion of the hub to adjust the chain line. Then you could use a variety of tensioners that would screw into the the derailleur hanger. The result would be a classy 2/3 speed drivetrain compliments of the SS Forum.

Now anyone who has posted more that 10 times on this Forum would have instantly knew why; I believe you have posted here 3 times out of 34 total posts. Take some time and rear the posts here and you will find out how diverse we really are. :thumbsup:

1G1G, Brad

#13 ·
aosty said:
Brad - thanks for taking the time to clarify to the a-hole... singlespeed forum = alternative drivetrain forum.
I'd have explained it if Brad didn't. Takes one to know one...

--Sparty

P.S. NOW can we get back to singlespeed talk please? Opening threads only to find I'm not interested in the subject at hand is such a painful, time consuming, labor-intense endeavor. :rolleyes:

#16 ·
I think single chainline discussion is fair enough (eg the odd hub gear), but those dangly chain misligning thingies are really unmentionables. :)

#17 ·
Maybe I'm just an unintelligent, anal retentive "Ahole" who doesn't have enough posts to have an opinion that matters, but I am under the impression that Singlespeed means singlespeed (single speed, one speed, no shifting, one chainring, one cog, no derailleurs) and that all of the other irrelevant posts are because half the people on MTBR are too afraid to get out of their comfortable little posting ghettos (where someone might giggle at their one ****ing speed tattoos) and post in the appropriate forum, in the this case, Everything Drivetrain. If you read it slowly enough, it almost seems like everything related to drivetrains (that is not somehow more relevant to another forum) should be posted there, but, hey, what do I know? I'm just a an Ahole.

#18 · (Edited)
Sorry...

tvrbob86 said:
Maybe I'm just an unintelligent, anal retentive "Ahole" who doesn't have enough posts to have an opinion that matters, but I am under the impression that Singlespeed means singlespeed (single speed, one speed, no shifting, one chainring, one cog, no derailleurs) and that all of the other irrelevant posts are because half the people on MTBR are too afraid to get out of their comfortable little posting ghettos (where someone might giggle at their one ****ing speed tattoos) and post in the appropriate forum, in the this case, Everything Drivetrain. If you read it slowly enough, it almost seems like everything related to drivetrains (that is not somehow more relevant to another forum) should be posted there, but, hey, what do I know? I'm just a an Ahole.
Sorry, only one Ahole allowed per thread..You know what they saw about Aholes; they're much like opinions. Everyone has one and they usually stink..:)

Brad

PS, "posting ghettos"?? Dude you really need to get a life. Oh and BTW, chicks dig singlespeed tattoos. Even my wife fell under it's spell; of course the robin on my other calf didn't hurt.

#19 ·
Perhaps threads like this should go into "Everything Drivetrain" forum where those of us who also ride ss bikes and like innovative and alternative designs can discuss them until the cows come home.

On the topic of alternative drives... I once ran an SA 3 speed with dual cogs to give me 6 speeds and a high low range and liked it a great deal save for the fact it looked too cluttered.

On the other hand, perhaps folks should be a little more open to some ghetto invasion where other OT things can be talked about freely without any immature name calling.

#22 ·
And what would PVD have to add to this discussion ?

I like the 2 speed IGS with the 5 speed freewheel... I would guess that the drive is also a little more efficient than a 10 speed EGS and with a triple up front you'd have a 30 speed.

Hell...you might even get a little riding in between gear changes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.