Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Biking in Vieques, Puerto Rico - bad for beginners?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  rossp 
#1 ·
My friends and I are heading to Vieques in May, and instead of renting a car to get around, we were going to rent bikes to get to all the beaches.

We're all fit, but I'm the only one who's ever ridden long distance (and mostly just roads). I don't think we'll be doing more than 15 miles one way to anything ... I was wondering if anyone's had any experience with the area, any idea as to whether this is feasible?

You must have a car with 4WD to get to most places in the island, and I figured, where a 4WD vehicle can get me, so can a bike ... but I don't have much experience riding trails.

What do you guys think? The price is almost the same with renting a car or 4 bikes so we wanted to do the healthier/funner option, but if we don't reserve a car we won't be able to get one once we're there, and that would suck (no access to most beaches).

#2 ·
I have been there but didn't bike - you're right, some sort of transport is essential. As for bikes - one thing to think about is that a lot of the roads to beaches are on a lot of sand - so riding on them would really suck.
Also, some of the roads are very tight and windy - and given the speed of the local driving, may not be the safest roads to ride a lot.

Make sure you get to the bioluminescent bay - was an amazing experience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.