Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2x Minewt vs. HID ?

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  ZipMTB 
#1 ·
I've got a 3 year old niterider storm that has been giving me nothing but problems recently, it's in for repairs again... when I get it back, it's up for sale.

Before I spring for a light & motion arc, I was wondering about running 2 separate minewts as oppoed to a single HID. dual beams and super long run times appeal to me. I don't understand why the minewt is not available as a head lamp though?

Also- having not seen the quality of the light- is it even worth considering? I do a fair bit of night riding, weekly rides than are often around 3hrs, with steep technical XC downhills and some stunts... so I definitely want the best light quality and run-time possible.

Thanks for any insight...

#2 ·
Possible with modification

I wouldn't recommend two Minewts as they are right now. They have nice light but not much spill. They do have a bright spot though.

I modified my Minewt and put in an SSC P4 U bin LED and it is much, much brighter. You could buy two Minewts, put in new SSC LEDs and replace one reflector to give you more flood. All in all, this would cost less than $40 and could be a nice set up.

I will also say that with the new SSC LEd I got about 3.5 hrs on high. The difference between high and low is not that much but the efficiency of the LED is greater so I would bet you could get 6-7 hours of run time on low.

If you are thinking you're not good electrical, don't worry. I don't think there is an easier modification of a stock light and the results are sticking.

See this thread:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=273341

#3 ·
I would be tempted to just go with the Light & Motion ARC. Most riders probably don’t want to void the warranty of an underperforming light just to get it up to speed.

Especially if you’re coming from an HID beforehand I would recommend you stick with the ARC, or if you really want to try an LED system have a look into one of the many triple and quad emitter lights that are available. Such lights will have much more output and spill then the MiNewt. :thumbsup:

Dave.

#6 ·
ZipMTB said:
Warranty ?!, We don't need no stinkin' warranty. Everyone knows NiteRiders never break.:D
Maybe I'm missing something but I thought that's why he was here in the first place.....

I've got a 3 year old niterider storm that has been giving me nothing but problems recently, it's in for repairs again... when I get it back, it's up for sale.
Irony is not a small appliance for pressing clothes?

Hey if the topic author is not scared to pony up for an L & M HID, which (correct me if I'm wrong) is in the high range of $350-600, why was your initial alternative only the Minewt?
We all sing the praise of Dinotte's products, if I had $500 to burn and just walked away from an HID I'd get a 500l and it's HID bright, crashable, color tint wise better light anyway. There are LED alternatives in the $300 range that are a lot brighter than the minewt, hell Princeton Tec has a nice K2 emitter unit, no?
Not dissing L & M or nothing, I'd just feel a little silly to be the last guy left on the HID wagon in the next year or two when mass produced Cree XE and SSC led units hit the market. The Little Friend 3xSeoul P4 flashlight I have is nearly as bright as most 10w HID's, better color rendition than any HID, is instant on and off and 100,000 hrs bulb life. When you can buy that in a bike lite, goodbye HID.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.