Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Shocks, Anyone?

739 views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  quickneonrt 
#1 ·
Yea, so, I just got an '07 Kona Stinky (actually a month or 2 ago) whatever, anyway i'm not pleased with the drop off triple fork and i need some suggestions on what to get. Oh prefrably $1500 or less.:thumbsup:

#14 ·
mountain-bike dude said:
hold up, where'd you get your 888?
Craig'slist. Turns out the guy only lives 5 minutes away from me. The fork was only a year old and except for some scratches on the lowers it is in great shape. Some of the Bomber stickers were missing so I rearranged them to say "Beer". So now I have a Beer Bomber. :thumbsup:

#15 ·
With that budget you have a ton of options. I tried a Stinky with 66 on it and it was a real nice feel to it. For DC I personnally like the 40. Race fork or not, Kyle Strait did use it and win the Red Bull Rampage. But all in all....66, 40, 888 would all be nice choices. Try them out and see which you preffer.

#16 ·
Lollapalooza said:
Go for a 66 RC2X. It's a single crown so x-ups will be possible. It's got a good axle to crown height for a Stinky. It's somewhat light (atleast lighter than 888's). It's pretty cheap (around $850). Besides, 40's and Boxxers are race forks.
Another vote for the 66 rc2x. Have one on my sxt and love it. They are very tuneable. I removed the rebound spring and added more oil, then adjusted the air now it is more plush than my 888 rc2x. It feels like a monster T or my old shiver. If you want to go dc then you can't go wrong with the 888 rc2x either. I had a 888 r now I have an rc2x on my demo 9 and like that setup also. Great thing about Marzocchi is that all you really need to do is change the oil once or twice a season and you can beat the snot out of them. I have seen too many boxxers, manipoos and 40's blow up. So I wouldn't bother just to save a little weight but then again I don't race.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.