Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Built a homemade light

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Gondo 
#1 ·
2 years ago (I think), I built a homemade light. It was cheap and awesome so I thought I'd share it all with you.

First off I needed a battery and charger. 12V Lead Acid used for security and fire alarms in commercial buildings. I bought mine for $20 Canadian at an electronics store. I bought an automatic battery charger with trickle charge from Canadian Tire for $40. It's just a plain old 12V lead acid car battery charger.

I used 12V MR16 light bulbs. Its the small ones used for track lighting. You need the 12V not 120V ones. $1-$5 each. I carry a spare with me in case I bust one...hasn't happened yet!!!

Now you can buy these rubber coupling things for plumbing. $5 or so. Also a plastic cap for the back. The coupling has a groove in it and the light bulb slips right in and holds.

I cut out the back of the plastic cap and mounted a switch from radio shack. I wired it up and left 5 ft or so off the end. I put to circles of velcro around the light and mount it to my helmet. A strip of velcro on the helmet hold it in place, then a circle of velcro through the helmet vents and around the light secures it tight. I run the wire down my back and into a hydro pack where I carry the battery.

The light will last around 4-5 hours. I never want to drain the battery more than 50% so it lasts, therefore that gives me 2.5hrs of riding time no prob. That's great to leave my house, go for a ride, and come home.

The light is so bright I can shine road signs from way far. Cars flash me on the highway to turn my brights off :) It lights up the trails no prob.

In total the light costs $10 or so, $20 for the battery, and $40 for a nice charger. $70 total Canadian. Batteries are easily replacable, as well as the charger. NO specialty equipment or connections required. YOu could mount it handlebar, or helmet. Also get a second battery if you wanna carry the weight and place a second light on the handlebars. Or buy more expensive lithium batteries and charger.

For a little over $50 and the performance I get I love the light. Took me about 30min to assemble very easily. HIghly recommended project for those looking for a cheaper light without spending $300 on a name brand system that has expensive replacement parts like bulbs and battery.

See less See more
#4 ·
I did a search and found this in the archives. Yes, any pictures of this or other DIY right-ups?

I'd like to try making a 2 bulb system; high beam, low beam! You would need some sort of a 3 way switch.

#6 ·
plasticmann said:
What wattage is the halogen lamps ?? I'm assuming 20 watt ???
I did a google search for "homemade bike light" and found a couple write-ups. One guy had a 2 bulb system, 1 at 5w, the 2nd at 10w. He could only run the 10w for very brief periods of time, otherwise he was melting the solder for the wiring and the housing. One of the very high-end lamps is 5w low, 20w high.

#7 ·
Well I used a 50w MR16 on a 7AH lead acid battery. I never had a problem with the solder melting. I would only run the light around 2hours to get a 50% drain on the battery. Lead acid batteries cannot take a full drain.

Well this season I found an MR16 12V socket at Home Depot...no more soldering the bulb. I may also try a 20W bulb for longer run times and see how that lights up. The 50W was amazing and brighter than a car headlight.

My old 12V battery is dead. It was a security alarm battery I bought form an electronics store for $15. They are cheap and can be charged using an any automotive charger. I used a small automatic charger with trickle charge. I am too cheap to buy lithium or Nickle Metal Hydride. Although they would rule. I only use them in the summer...and don't want to spend money on a battery that will sit all winter. I'll just buy another lead acid.

So I'm going to do another build this weekend using 20W and the new socket...I'll take pics and post them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.