Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

I need a light... recommendations?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Psycho Mike 
#1 ·
Yes, I know I should build a light. But, I don't have the know-how or resources.

So, I'm going to buy a light (unless someone wants to build me one). It will serve as a light for my commuter mostly, but will also serve as lighting for night rides. I would like at least 3 hours of burn time. My commute is maybe 30 minutes, but I'd like to have the extra burn time for when I get to actually hit the trails. As far as output, of course I'd like the most I can get.

My price range is $200-250. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Technology is moving pretty fast here. In a year or two you will be able to get a good trail riding lighting solution for your price range. If trail riding is indeed the need, then you will need two lights - bar mounted flood for general lighting and to throw shadows off obstacles so you can judge them, and helmet mount to spot things and look around corners. Having two lights is also very important to reduce the chances of you getting stuck in the pitch black 5 miles in the woods.

I would go with modern high output LEDs. Compared to HID you get better lamp life, instant start, the ability to dim for substantially longer battery life, flashing modes for your commute, and a whiter light color. Compared to Halogen you get better output per watt, wider dimming range, and also a more white beam color.

$200 - $250 is tough. Here's one option:
-- Helmet light: Nite Hawk K2 Digital, $170 @ Nashbar
-- Bar light: Fenix L2D-CE flashlight, $54 @ brightguy.com, rubber banded to the Nite Hawk's optional bar clamp.
-- Charger and 4 x NiMH AA batteries to power the Fenix, $25 anywhere.

I used the above rig (actually w/ very similar beam Fenix P1D-CE) for several night rides, and can attest that it did the job. The L2D-CE is a better choice for bicycle service than my P1D-CE on account of its longer burn time, more readily available battery size, and larger body for better heat sinking.

Ultimately I decided that I wanted even more light at the bar position, so I replaced the Fenix with a BR Lights C2.1-H. That would exceed your budget though.

Best of luck!

#3 ·
Thanks.

Right now, it's for commuting. So, it's basically a supplement to the street lights. But there are a couple roads that don't have a lot of light, and sometimes I take a detour through the park, and there aren't any lights there at night.

With my schedule, I doubt that I'll be doing a lot of night trail riding right now.

#4 ·
Going with just the Fenix and NiMH rechargeable batteries for now might be the ticket. IMO it has enough light for commuting on known roads, and it has a flashing mode that is extremely attention-getting to help you be seen in areas of mixed street lighting. You would have to get something like a Twofish Lock Block to mount the light on your bar. Pretty cost effective setup. Later on if you buy a bike-specific light then the Fenix would still be handy as a regular flashlight when you're not riding.

#5 ·
I haven't jumped on the LED main light bandwagon yet...

I went with a 15W halogen main (bar mount) and a 1W helmet mount LED (1 W Luxeon). I don't get quite the burn time out of the set up that you want unless I'm burning the halogen at a lower output...but I get at least 2 hrs in the cold and closer to 2.5 hrs in summer.

Total cost was about $200 Cdn.

Just some food for thought...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.