Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

voltage question?

729 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  brianb00 
#1 ·
:thumbsup: I would like to know if a 6v/15 watt bulb will shine the same as a 12v/15 watt bulb. Will the 12 be brighter or just last longer? thanks...

#2 ·
Bikerdad - I've never seen a side by side comparison of 6v 12v same watt bulbs. If your trying to decide between a 6v or 12v system I can offer you my opinion. 12v systems are more sturdy. 6v systems tend to stress out the weak points in wiring/switches due to higher amps. 12v bulbs are more forgiving of overcharged batteries and also likely to be purposely over volted by user. Generally we all want the most light from a givin system. and a 12v system will give you more options to get more light out. Hope that helps. Hey, I'm pretty old too! BikerGrampa I could use. Well, I can still ride the single tracks and still dirt jump the bike. Only if I'm sure I can land sweet. Kids seeing me doing it........messes them up.

#4 ·
BIKERDAD36 said:
:thumbsup: I would like to know if a 6v/15 watt bulb will shine the same as a 12v/15 watt bulb. Will the 12 be brighter or just last longer? thanks...
They should be the same output, but the 6v will be drawing more current from its battery to achieve the same wattage. I don't think one bulb would last any longer than the other, but for equal amp-hour batteries, the 12v will enjoy a longer runtime per charge.

Example:
Given a 2Ah 6V battery and a 2Ah 12v battery respectively on each light.

Current = Watts/Voltage so:
The 6v system will draw (15w/6v ) or 2.5 A - get ~ 40 min runtime
The 15v system will draw (15w/12v) or 1.25A - get ~ 1.5 hr runtime

#5 ·
BIKERDAD36 said:
Thanks! That answers my question.. I have an old light that has a 6v system and I was thinking of converting it to a 12v by getting a new battery and bulb and charger from battery space. I hope it can be done?
I did just that with my old nite rider. Switched to 12 volt 10 watt bulb and 12 volt NiMh battery (use the battery that runs my portable drill). It all has been flawless and now I have one battery charger for all portable items in the home.

brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.