Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

two questions... Fenix Digital L2D CE and triple shot optics

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  slocaus 
#1 · (Edited)
For the Fenix Digital L2D CE which I am considering for helmet mounting to run along with my Cateye Triple Shot I have two questions:
1. Has anyone out there tried it as a helmet mount yet? http://fenixstore.com
2. From the looks of it would it be easy to get alternative optics if I wanted a more spill or more spot?

For the Triple shot has anyone determined what the factory optics are? I'd like to get a wider beam than I currently get. Someone on this forum suggested new optics (thanks) so I'm finally getting around to following up on that suggestion.

#2 ·
fenix

I was wondering the same thing about the fenix. The link you gave is busted, assume this is a helmet mount.

The fenix design is not mountain bike specific, and it would be nice to see how it compares to the Exposure Joystick. Obviously, it's less $$.

#3 ·
outstanding..

I recently put the Fenix on my helmet and tried it out. I didn't intend to use it as a helmet light but when I got it and saw the output and how light & small it was I thought of the exposure and gave it a try. I owned one of the earlier Exposure Race lights (dual 5 watt SLED) for a while but not the Joystick. The Fenix output is comparable to the Race - maybe a better spot which translates into further throw down the trail. I'm very impressed with the beam. By comparison I put side by side with one of my 3 AA ($24) LED maglights and fresh batteries. I would say the Fenix is about 40% - 50% brighter. Of course that is a subjective measurement.
The easy part was fastening it to my helmet. I used two small velcro straps. One to hold the fabric case or sheath (that came with the light) to the helmet and the other wrapped around the light and holder and back through an opening on the top of the helmet. Holds very snug and almost no movement. It is so tight I can't even pull the light out of its sheath. Also very light. Barely notice it is there.
I used it along with my HID on the bars and as I have said was very impressed. Throws a nice beam with decent spill.
For $55 dollars and a couple of straps it can't be beat. In fact it is probably better than most helmet mounted lights currently out there.
I also really like the fact that it uses a couple of AA batteries. I used two NiMH rechargeables and the beam stays bright for about 2 hrs with no discernable drop in output.

#4 ·
knobs said:
I was wondering the same thing about the fenix. The link you gave is busted, assume this is a helmet mount.

The fenix design is not mountain bike specific, and it would be nice to see how it compares to the Exposure Joystick. Obviously, it's less $$.
http://www.fenix-store.com

He forgot the dash (-) between "fenix" and "store". :)

DIY mounts work fine. I use velcro straps and strips from an old inner tube.

I also have a TwoFish Lockblocks from http://www.lighthound.com:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.