Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Specialized Enduro

839 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  MonkeyBidnezz 
#1 ·
I'm considering getting an Enduro (the one that looks similar to the sx trail--not the brand new design) and had a couple questions:

What's the height range supposed to be for a large sized frame? I rode a large (that I might be able to get a deal on) around the parking lot and it felt a bit long, but it had a pretty long stem on it. I'm about 5'10", by the way.

Also, how much can an Enduro handle? It'll have a dhx air and a 36, plus I only weigh about 145, but would it handle the occasional trip to Snowshoe or the occasional decently large drop? Thanks for the input.

#2 ·
we had a demo one at the shop i work at, i believe it was the expert model. I took it to the local DH spot and it rode fine, I'm not a huge fan of the FSR system, but it definetly jumped and turned well. Try to hook up a demo model from your local Spec dealer, 150 for three days and then that money goes to the purchase of a bike, pretty good way to try stuff out.

#3 ·
I'm 6' and went with the medium because I like a more flickable bike. The Enduro is pretty big, and my medium 06 is bigger than my large 03. I have a bro that rides a large and is 5"10" and loves it, so it is all about personal tastes. At 5'10" I think you can go both ways and be happy. If you can get a smokin' deal on a large, I say go for it and stick a shorter stem on it if the cockpit feels too long.

#4 ·
I have an 05' Enduro Pro Medium size and I am 5 10" 195 lbs I would get a medium. I have also rode this bike everywhere anyone with an 8" travel plus bike has including mammoth etc it handles whatever you give it. I also switched out the rear air shock for a coil but had the air shock when I rode at mammoth great bike and FSR rules.

#5 ·
Hi dude,

I've had a 03 & 05 Specialized enduro for a while now and i'm able to give you a review on. First thing you need to know is that theses are for all-mountain. No freeride or downhill will work on the frame. In facts, don't expect drops, beams or whatever more than 4' or it will not last long. But if your smooth and casing every hit, it will probably last 1-2 years on 8'' drops (on landings).

I've had had a 05 Enduro and running a too high pressure on the shock, bushings worn out faster. It also cracked the linkage and I returned it for warranty. Less pressure on the shock, it was bottoming more than often and It also leaded to bushing issues...(1/2 months)

The 05 frame cracked elsewhere. Learning my downhill aptitudes I switched for a 150mm fork on the bike with 729 rims, holzfeller cranks J7 brakes etc... The headtube is slowly parting out. I've pictures homes so tell me if you don't trust me. When it say no more than 125mm travel in fronk, do not put more or it will do the same!

But in facts, the 05 model is very small, huckable and lightweight bike, but do as I did, buy a M3 if you plan Snowshoes=)

I'm 123 lbs so approx your weight and runnign very hard theses bikes 2 frames last me 3 years! haha

#6 ·
The 05 frame you mention, was it the 130 Comp? Same frame style as your '03? I cracked the seat tube of my 03 Enduro Pro. The 05/06 150mm frame style is much stronger, and the frame is heavier b/c of this. I've got the 06 and absolutely love it. I've hit 4ft drops without a problem. Eventually I'll be hitting 5 footers to tranny. For anything bigger, that's what my Demo is for.

I read posts where riders use their Enduro (non-SX) for bike parks etc and it holds up just fine. I just don't know if I'd feel comfortable taking my Enduro to Whistler, which is why I got the Demo.

Overall, the Enduro is a great bike for aggressive all mountain and light freeride. But is definitely not a freeride/dh bike.

I'm 5' 11" and ride a large with a 70mm stem.

-enduro

#7 ·
Had mine ages (05 model - the 150mm frame), thrashed it up hill and down dale. It's raced DH runs, XC, the lot. Switched out to a 50mm stem and coil rear. running a 36VAN up front.

This bike is as capable as my DH bike on all but the roughest stuff, where it just isn't as stable. But up to a point you would be hard to ride faster on the DH bike. However, I do know a lot of people who have broken chainstays and/or likage areas on this frame. I however, am light (145) and ride light. But trust me, this bike has done big gaps, drops and full on DH runs/drops/rocks and held up fine.

Another guy here in the UK (deputy editor of Dirt magazine) threw one down the Megavalanche track down Alp D'Huez (one hour twenty DH run!!!) and came in 20th.....

#8 · (Edited)
flyingwalrus said:
I'm considering getting an Enduro (the one that looks similar to the sx trail--not the brand new design) and had a couple questions:

What's the height range supposed to be for a large sized frame? I rode a large (that I might be able to get a deal on) around the parking lot and it felt a bit long, but it had a pretty long stem on it. I'm about 5'10", by the way.

Also, how much can an Enduro handle? It'll have a dhx air and a 36, plus I only weigh about 145, but would it handle the occasional trip to Snowshoe or the occasional decently large drop? Thanks for the input.
I own an 05 Enduro, which I baslically converted to an SX by swapping to a dhx coil, and put a shorter stem and wide bars on it. I am 6'0" and the Large fits me perfectly. I wouldnt want it any smaller or bigger, it seems just right to me. My initial response was like yours, I was too stretched in the cockpit, but the stem fixes all of that. Longer stem would be perfect for an xc rig, but I like riding a little more agressively.

as far as what it can handle, Im 250lbs and ride it hard. No signs of any bit of unhappiness from the bike. Im sure the way Berrecloth beat on his is true testament to what kind of abuse these bikes can take.

Go with the large, swap on a nice 60-40mm stem and you'll be loving it. All these people breaking the bikes, are probably crashing hard all over the place, then blame the bike for being such a pos.

#9 ·
Zonk0u said:
I own an 05 Enduro, which I baslically converted to an SX by swapping to a dhx coil, and put a shorter stem and wide bars on it. I am 6'0" and the Large fits me perfectly. I wouldnt want it any smaller or bigger, it seems just right to me. My initial response was like yours, I was too stretched in the cockpit, but the stem fixes all of that. Longer stem would be perfect for an xc rig, but I like riding a little more agressively.

as far as what it can handle, Im 250lbs and ride it hard. No signs of any bit of unhappiness from the bike. Im sure the way Berrecloth beat on his is true testament to what kind of abuse these bikes can take.

Go with the large, swap on a nice 60-40mm stem and you'll be loving it. All these people breaking the bikes, are probably crashing hard all over the place, then blame the bike for being such a pos.
I did exactly what Zonk0u did, I added a Cane Creek DB coil rear shock and shortened the cockpit with a race face diabolus 50MM stem, bars and headset (huge improvement over the XC stem). I also put a e13 chainguide, outlaw wheelset w/ 2.5 tires, sram drivetrain and avid code brakes basically this is a defacto freeride bike and it takes whatever i can give it. besides if it breaks it has a lifetime warranty cant beat that!

#10 ·
fsdmusic said:
. besides if it breaks it has a lifetime warranty cant beat that!
Just a tidbit on the warranty. The lifetime is just for the front triangle, and not the rear. I'm not saying Spesh wont warranty it since the chainstays have been known to have issues but since it is in writing I would say they could deny the rear breakage after a year if they chose to.

Coil shock is the way to go on the Enduro, love my bike even more since I changed it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.