Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Anyone know a thing by the name of this that is good?

746 views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  shredder111 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I have the choice of getting either a Cane Creek Double X headset reducer for 99$ for my 1.5 frame so I can put on my 888 which has a 1 1/8" steerer. Or I can get a Da Bomb one for less than 70$. Anyone know anything about this Da Bomb company? Is their stuff Da shitz or is their stuff crappy? Anyone have any experience with them?:confused:

Thanks, Shredder111:cool:

#4 ·
I had a double X on a bike with a 7" boxxer, but then switched to the e13 w/internal when I put an 888 on it. There's about a 1/2 degree head angle difference between those two headsets. Something to think about to help get the angles where you want them.

#7 ·
shredder111 said:
What will the differing angles do?
What njhcx4xlife says.

The nice thing about the 1.5 headtube is that you can tweak the angles a bit. Since you haven't bought anything yet you might as well get what fits your style. I was worried that when I put the 888 on my bike it would be too slack so I went with the zero stack integrated headset. I'm glad I did because it still feels pretty darn slack.

#8 ·
Hmm, can you help me? I like doing high speed single trail stuff sometimes and sometimes some DH, but most of the time I do more open freeride stuff like drops and gaps or doubles. I never do any skinnies, not that I never will, but there are none where I live. What would be the best head angle for a Santa Cruz Bullit or VP Free for this style of riding. I am more of a hucker, but also like single trail stuff.

Thanks, Shredder111

#10 ·
I'd go zero stack on either one of those bikes.

I thought my Bullit was tall with a 545mm Boxxer on it, and my 888rc2x is 581mm. Ouch. I admit that I don't know the spec's on the new Bullit though.

The VPFree is spec'd at 66 degree with a 571mm fork, again the 888 will slack it out more than that.

I don't like FR bikes slacker than 66 degrees, because they don't turn, get too long, and jumping doubles seems to get harder. Probaby just me though. ;)

#12 ·
Shredder... for your use i would go with the e-13 reducer cups and the cane creek is-2 headset...its a nice combo for sure and should keep your head angle where you want it to be. The FSA orbit is als works with the e-13 reducer cups i'm pretty sure. check the e-13 site to make sure...they tell you what headsets yo can use. The other nice thing is this set-up makes everything internal for a a clean look.

#15 ·
mb3designs said:
Buy the Cane Creek Double Xc headset, like I said, converts 1.5 headtube to accept 1 1/8 steerer tubes. This set up is very strong, I run one on my Vagrant, and Zachdank runs one on his BottleRocket. Nuf' said.
All the suggestions convert a 1.5 to 1 1/8th. My question to you mb3 is do you really think the cane creek double xc is stronger than an internal zerostack set-up on a 1.5?

#18 ·
njhcx4xlife said:
All the suggestions convert a 1.5 to 1 1/8th. My question to you mb3 is do you really think the cane creek double xc is stronger than an internal zerostack set-up on a 1.5?
Good question, I haven't had the opportunity to try out the set up you mentioned with the reducer cups and integrated headset, this is my first frame with a 1.5 headtube. I know for a fact that the double Xc is a very strong setup, I weigh about 210 and no problems so far. The Double Xc Flush that .Danno. posted would probably be the strongest out of the bunch. Couldn't go wrong with any of the setups mentioned though, all are very good options.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.