Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Best place to mount a 305

1K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  red-haze.com 
#1 ·
Where is the best place to mount the 305 to keep it safe from harm? The stem or top tube maybe?

#2 ·
Top tube will be safer, but is less user friendly (you've got to look the furthest down and move your hands the furthest from the handlebars). Bars is user friendly, but very exposed. I went with "between the two"....stem. I have enough junk on the bars that my GPS unit is still farily well protected.

#5 ·
dmkp621 said:
I had mine on the stem. Did an endo in a rock garden, flipped the bike, and now no more Edge 305. I think it landed on a rock.
FYI, Garmin will get you a replacement for $99... Food for thought. Glad to help if I can.

There's never a perfect place. I did an OTB once and taco'd my front wheel. Cost hundreds to fix. Riding is risky.

Just ride and enjoy, IMHO.

BTW, I use the stem. A year, several thousand trail miles, and a couple OTB's in the process and mine is still perfect, knock on wood.

#9 ·
I used the stem, endo'd several times with it there; it finally busted free from the mount and ended up in a creek (still works fine). Now it's on my handlebar b/c the other mount they include is oriented that way. The top tube is definitely safest (next to being completely stowed), but it's hardly viewable/usable there for me - I like to record waypoints and navigate with it during rides.

#11 ·
you can change the handle bar mount to a stem mount by just pulling it apart and rotating one of the parts 90 degrees. seemed too simple to me too but it works :)
bike ON
bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.