Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Magura Gustav and Marzocchi help needed

805 views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  davec113 
#1 ·
I've got a set of Gustav M's that are going on my Turner RFX/Marzocchi 66sl and I have a question about the fork/caliper interface that I hope someone can help me out with. Given that I zero experience working on hydraulic brakes I brought them into my LBS (thanks Don) to have the hoses cut to length and the calipers installed. However, it appears that Magura did not supply the proper caliper adapter for the postmounts on my fork to work with the 210mm rotor. It seems that the adapter is for use with a smaller rotor (160mm, or maybe the 190mm?). I've contacted the the dealer where I purchased the Gustavs (not my LBS) to see about getting the proper adapter. My question is this:

To use the Gustav caliper with a 210mm is there a specific adapter for this (such as caliper holder #13, part number 0721645 from the Magura website) or is there just another adapter that interfaces with the caliper and the adapter that I already have? Does that make sense? IOW, do I need a whole new adapter, or just an additional piece to use with what I've already got...to "extend" it's reach to 210mm?

I realize that there aren't too many Gustav owners, but if anyone has any experience with this combo your input is appreciated. Thanks.

Patrick

See less See more
#2 ·
PCinSC said:
I've got a set of Gustav M's that are going on my Turner RFX/Marzocchi 66sl and I have a question about the fork/caliper interface that I hope someone can help me out with. Given that I zero experience working on hydraulic brakes I brought them into my LBS (thanks Don) to have the hoses cut to length and the calipers installed. However, it appears that Magura did not supply the proper caliper adapter for the postmounts on my fork to work with the 210mm rotor. It seems that the adapter is for use with a smaller rotor (160mm, or maybe the 190mm?). I've contacted the the dealer where I purchased the Gustavs (not my LBS) to see about getting the proper adapter. My question is this:

To use the Gustav caliper with a 210mm is there a specific adapter for this (such as caliper holder #13, part number 0721645 from the Magura website) or is there just another adapter that interfaces with the caliper and the adapter that I already have? Does that make sense? IOW, do I need a whole new adapter, or just an additional piece to use with what I've already got...to "extend" it's reach to 210mm?

I realize that there aren't too many Gustav owners, but if anyone has any experience with this combo your input is appreciated. Thanks.

Patrick
Yes you need a specific adapter to run the 210.
What number do you have now and what size rotors did it come with?

#3 ·
skate said:
Yes you need a specific adapter to run the 210.
What number do you have now and what size rotors did it come with?
I'm not sure what the adapter number is, the bike's still at the shop (which is currently closed). The brakes came with 210mm front and 190mm rear rotors. The rear came with the correct (I.S.) adapter and installed just fine. I can check the number when I pick the bike up tomorrow.

#4 ·
PCinSC said:
I'm not sure what the adapter number is, the bike's still at the shop (which is currently closed). The brakes came with 210mm front and 190mm rear rotors. The rear came with the correct (I.S.) adapter and installed just fine. I can check the number when I pick the bike up tomorrow.
If i remember correctly I had the same problem when I had my 888. That was becauase the Marzocchi had made it an standard 6" IS mount and I'm pretty sure it is the same for your fork. So the adapter you probably need is either one of these two (adapter #11 or #21) part number 0721395 at $43.

so basically I ended up getting the 21 because they didn't have the number 11, which was also the same exact adapter that is used on the rear. One thing you need to keep in mind is that if you are using the number 21 you will need a crap load of spacers to make the rotor centered in between the caliper.
I think the number 11 is basically a big block of aluminum cut out so that all you have to do is install it and will not require any spacers at all.

Those are the differences between the two number, but either one will work.

I actually have a spare number 21, so if you can't find an adapter from magura or anywhere else I can sell you mine. Just PM me with offer and I'll hook you up.

#5 ·
skate said:
If i remember correctly I had the same problem when I had my 888. That was becauase the Marzocchi had made it an standard 6" IS mount and I'm pretty sure it is the same for your fork. So the adapter you probably need is either one of these two (adapter #11 or #21) part number 0721395 at $43.
The Zoke 66 series has 74mm postmounts. I think up until the current model year the 888's still used the IS mount system, but my 66 has the postmount. So the adapters should be different, right? Magura included a postmount compatible adapter, it just doesn't work with the 210mm rotor. I certainly wouldn't expect to have to pay Marzocchi for an adapter that they knew I was going to need, after all they new I had a PM fork and they sent a 210mm rotor. I'm thinking that it was probably just an oversight on Magura's part.

Thanks for your help, and you adapter offer, I think I'm probably gonna need the proper (larger) PM adapter from Magura. Thanks again.

#6 ·
PCinSC said:
The Zoke 66 series has 74mm postmounts. I think up until the current model year the 888's still used the IS mount system, but my 66 has the postmount. So the adapters should be different, right? Magura included a postmount compatible adapter, it just doesn't work with the 210mm rotor. I certainly wouldn't expect to have to pay Marzocchi for an adapter that they knew I was going to need, after all they new I had a PM fork and they sent a 210mm rotor. I'm thinking that it was probably just an oversight on Magura's part.

Thanks for your help, and you adapter offer, I think I'm probably gonna need the proper (larger) PM adapter from Magura. Thanks again.
Would spacers work if you used the adapter that you got with the brakes?

#7 ·
be350ka said:
Would spacers work if you used the adapter that you got with the brakes?
I don't think so, but I didn't even look at the adapter and PM together when I had them, so I couldn't say for certain. It would seem I'd have to use quite a few spacers to make up the difference from a 160mm (or even 190mm) rotor to make it work with the 210mm.

#8 ·
PCinSC said:
I don't think so, but I didn't even look at the adapter and PM together when I had them, so I couldn't say for certain. It would seem I'd have to use quite a few spacers to make up the difference from a 160mm (or even 190mm) rotor to make it work with the 210mm.
I was just wondering if you have the adapter that Skate was talking about (#21) that requires a lot of spacers to work. I would think that the adapter that requires few or no spacers would be ideal. But, if the one you have would get you up and running for now.....

#9 ·
skate said:

so basically I ended up getting the 21 because they didn't have the number 11, which was also the same exact adapter that is used on the rear. One thing you need to keep in mind is that if you are using the number 21 you will need a crap load of spacers to make the rotor centered in between the caliper.
I think the number 11 is basically a big block of aluminum cut out so that all you have to do is install it and will not require any spacers at all.
The difference btwn #21 & #11 is that since #11 is a machined adapter used to be very expensive (about $75) they started making #21 ( which is alloy) to reduce costs, besides that is exactly the same adapter.

#10 ·
be350ka said:
I was just wondering if you have the adapter that Skate was talking about (#21) that requires a lot of spacers to work. I would think that the adapter that requires few or no spacers would be ideal. But, if the one you have would get you up and running for now.....
I don't think I have adapter #21. I think #21 is an IS mount adapter, and the one that I've got is PM. I'm gonna pick the bike up in a bit, I'll check it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.