Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Any Edge 305 & Mac Users??

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  GEOMAN 
#1 ·
Hi,

I just got a new 305 and have been messing with it ...... looks like it will be great.

I was just wondering if anyone else is a Mac user (I have a Power PC Dual 2.0 G5) and what additional software your using in conjunction (many apps are PC specific)? I grabbed National Geographic Topo, but any other suggestions?

#2 ·
proxy said:
Hi,

I just got a new 305 and have been messing with it ...... looks like it will be great.

I was just wondering if anyone else is a Mac user (I have a Power PC Dual 2.0 G5) and what additional software your using in conjunction (many apps are PC specific)? I grabbed National Geographic Topo, but any other suggestions?

I'm in the same boat and the Garmin TC software for the MAC is quite stripped down from the PC version. On top of it all Motion Based map player has not yet worked with my MacBook even after downloading the SVG plug-in (in Safari).

I'm looking for something similar in function to Motion Based but works on a Mac and does not have a monthly fee. I'd like a detailed map player and analyzer (that automatically puts climbs and descents into splits etc.).

GEOMAN what's the answer!

#3 · (Edited)
I am a recent buyer of a 305 and a Mac user. I've had success with TC and Motion Based on my iMac so I'm not sure what your problem is? Have you downloaded and installed the Mac Web Agent? I know there are features missing from Motion Based but it seems to still have quite a bit of functionality. The Player tab is cool but Map Player isn't supported yet - I'm not sure what the difference is? I use Google Maps in Hybrid to overlay photo and road map which works well where I live.

Cheers

HillBilly.

#4 ·
HillBillies said:
I am a recent buyer of a 305 and a Mac user. I've had success with TC and Motion Based on my iMac so I'm not sure what your problem is? Have you downloaded and installed the Mac Web Agent? I know there are features missing from Motion Based but it seems to still have quite a bit of functionality. The Player tab is cool but Map Player isn't supported yet - I'm not sure what the difference is? I use Google Maps in Hybrid to overlay photo and road map which works well where I live.

Cheers

HillBilly.
The agent works very well, it's the map player that doesn't. I can't seem to get the SVG viewer to work in Safari.

TC is pretty trimmed down in features compared to the Windows version. I used the Windows one for a while till the Mac TC came out.

I really want the ability to overlay rides and zoom in on segments as well as have the map player function with Google Maps etc. Being able to edit things would be useful as well (like my falsely spiking heart rate due to flapping jerseys on fast downhills).

I am used to using race car data acquisition systems. The levels of options and versatility in their software is light-years beyond the bike stuff (which is still really in its infancy if you think about it), so, as a result, I expect much more functionality than is currently offered.

I'm sure it will start to catch up as it becomes competitive and as more people use it but trust me we are at the tip of the iceberg as far as this data thing is concerned.

The other thing that bugs me is why does Motion Based charge a monthly fee? Is it for storing our tiny files? It just doesn't seem like a good value to me at the moment. With all the power of the race car software it's all free because they want you to buy the hardware. On top of that with Garmin owning Motion Based what are the odds that TC gets much better (it's not in their best interest is it)?

Don't get me wrong I love my Edge 305 but Garmin business practices are a bit annoying (and I'm therefore somewhat impatiently waiting for that "prefect" third party solution).

#5 ·
chronohunter said:
I'm in the same boat and the Garmin TC software for the MAC is quite stripped down from the PC version. On top of it all Motion Based map player has not yet worked with my MacBook even after downloading the SVG plug-in (in Safari).

I'm looking for something similar in function to Motion Based but works on a Mac and does not have a monthly fee. I'd like a detailed map player and analyzer (that automatically puts climbs and descents into splits etc.).

GEOMAN what's the answer!
I'm honored. :)

I gave up PC's years ago.

I bought an Edge 305 Bundle one year ago. I've got about 250 rides on mine. I've tried all the software. Frankly, TC for Mac was a letdown. It will improve but my initial impression was that Garmin was giving us Mac users lip service. I tried it for a couple of rides and shelved it.

I was fortunate to buy a 2 year Motionbased subscription at the end of 2006 for something around $4 a month. Cheap. Sure, the SVG player doesn't work but I promise you, without Motionbased, Garmin would be struggling worse with Mac software. And I find the Motionbased player kinda hokey (I played around with it under Parallels). Is it really of value? It kept my interest for a few minutes.

Garmin's USB protocols give programmers the shakes. Therein lies the problem.

I just received notice of a new "build" for Parallels. It is downloading as I write this. They are claiming that it works with virtually all USB products. We'll see. I'll know soon but I have to admit that I'm not really that bothered if it doesn't. You see, over time you just learn to adapt to what's available for Macs. Motionbased is it in my book.

So, you ask, is there software that is "Motionbased-like" free of subscriptions? Doubtful. I haven't found it but new software crops up every week. Just last week I ran into Ascent Training Software for Mac. Before that it was Track Runner. Check them out and let us all know what you think.

Sorry for the delay in posting. I'm nursing an injury and have been getting treatment today.

Hope this helps.

Best regards all,

#6 ·
GEOMAN said:
I'm honored. :)

I gave up PC's years ago.

I bought an Edge 305 Bundle one year ago. I've got about 250 rides on mine. I've tried all the software. Frankly, TC for Mac was a letdown. It will improve but my initial impression was that Garmin was giving us Mac users lip service. I tried it for a couple of rides and shelved it.

I was fortunate to buy a 2 year Motionbased subscription at the end of 2006 for something around $4 a month. Cheap. Sure, the SVG player doesn't work but I promise you, without Motionbased, Garmin would be struggling worse with Mac software. And I find the Motionbased player kinda hokey (I played around with it under Parallels). Is it really of value? It kept my interest for a few minutes.

Garmin's USB protocols give programmers the shakes. Therein lies the problem.

I just received notice of a new "build" for Parallels. It is downloading as I write this. They are claiming that it works with virtually all USB products. We'll see. I'll know soon but I have to admit that I'm not really that bothered if it doesn't. You see, over time you just learn to adapt to what's available for Macs. Motionbased is it in my book.

So, you ask, is there software that is "Motionbased-like" free of subscriptions? Doubtful. I haven't found it but new software crops up every week. Just last week I ran into Ascent Training Software for Mac. Before that it was Track Runner. Check them out and let us all know what you think.

Sorry for the delay in posting. I'm nursing an injury and have been getting treatment today.

Hope this helps.

Best regards all,

#7 ·
Hi Chrono,

Thanks for your kind words. I broke a toe last week... Thankfully we aren't out of winter so I don't feel like I'm missing anything yet. I'm going to try for a short ride this afternoon - God willing!

FYI, I just ran the latest Parallels build (3186) to my MacBook Pro, installed TC for Windows, hooked up my Edge 305, uploaded a ride, played with it and it worked perfectly. This is a huge leap forward for Parallels...

I also installed Garmin's WebUpdater (Windows) and upgraded my firmware to 3.10. It was a flawless execution under Parallels.

I don't know if you are running an Intel Mac or not but this opens up everything that was lacking before.

Some more info for you!

Have a terrific day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.