Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

new bike

762 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  SHIVER ME TIMBERS 
#1 ·
hey im looking for a new bike. i ride mammoth and big bear alot, but it would still need to pedal fairly well for fireroads. i dont need a ton of suspension. im not a hardcore freerider, but im not very nice to my bikes. im 6' and 155 lbs. i'd like it to have suspension, but i dont care if its a hardtail. right now im lookin at the bottlerocket. any other suggestions?

#5 ·
codynyc74 said:
if you ride big bear and mammoth maybe something with alil bit my travel. like a dirt bag.
Pppppffft.

Bottlerocket will do fine for lift served. Dirt bag is cool, but if you're not doing 40 ft drops, you're not going to break a bottlerocket, and the BR pedals nicer.

I got a bottlerocket a month or so ago and absolutely love it, my roommate has a dirtbag. You won't go wrong with either bike, but i know a couple of the transition guys were doing 20 ft drops on their bottlerockets a couple of weeks ago. Mike metzger goes mega-huge on his dirtbag, get the DB if you want a plusher ride/go huge and less pedaling, the BR if you want a more responsive ride and snappier pedaling.

#9 · (Edited)
Ojai Bicyclist said:
Specialized SX Trail. A Bottlerocket wouldn't be too fun at Mammoth unless you stick to Downtown. Bullit/Velocity/Chainsmoke would pretty much blow on a Bottlerocket IMO.
WTF???

I've never ridden mammoth, but have a hard time seeing how less than half an inch of travel makes the difference between fun and "pretty much blow." The SX trail is a nice bike, I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

Edit- There is a pretty big difference in the companies though. If I want to call and talk to the guy who designed my bike, he's a phone call away. If I just want to hear the sound of the voice of the guy who chose the frame's COLORS, you guessed it- 1 direct phone call away. Not exactly possible with a big corporation like specialized. Transition also offers lifetime crash replacement at a discount. (does the big S?). Plus I know that the owners and test pilots are killer riders, specifically freeriders, so they're designing things that they would want (not things that will sell well if they're painted pink and tucked under derren berrecloth). No disrespect to specialized owners or the company, but its just a much different experience buying a transition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.