Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Need some gearing assistance . . .

636 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  SHIVER ME TIMBERS 
#1 ·
I recently procured a pristine '03 SC Bullit, with Shivers upfront and the 5th out back. I live in Western Colorado- Grand Junction, Fruita, Moab. The bike came with an MRP world cup guide with the boomerang pulleys upfront . . . I think it is the 40T.

I went out on one of our "basic" (read technical for a horse) trails with a buddy, and just had a stinker of a time getting up several of the ascents. Granted, the bike will never climb like an XC bike, but I found the gearing to be too tall . . .

The question is . . . should I move directly to a double/triple upfront? or should I downsize the front ring? If I downsize the front ring, how low should I go? (I'm running RaceFace NorthShores w/ what I believe is a 110 bcd)

I'd appreciate feedback from those of you still daring to ride up . . .

#3 ·
I too earn my turns most of the time. I have a double chainring (36, 24) and an 11-34 cogset. On a 45+ lb bike I have shifted into the small ring only a couple times, hardly enough to warrant having it. A single 40 tooth ring is more of a race setup, so if you pedal as well I would start with something around the 36 tooth range.

#4 ·
Update on gear specs

Thanks for input . . .

Looks like the cranks are the compact 94 BCD, and the front is a Raceface DH 40t.

The rear is a sram 11-32t.

I'm going to leave the rear alone for now and get a smaller front . . .

Is 36t the shortest I can go in front?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.