Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Going to Whistler this year? You sure?

928 views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  konabiker 
#1 ·
#5 ·
It won't apply to people with a first-time or youthful offender plea to a misdemeanor. It also won't apply to people that did a pre-trial plea to a misdemeanor or participated in drug court. This is for people with a conviction or felony plea. That's assuming you make it through the penalty phase without incident. The lesson: Take the best deal they offer. If you choose to fight it and lose you're screwed for life.

#6 ·
kinda funny, i'm a canadian and work for a marine company that travels to the states alot and have seen the usa doing the same things to us for along time.
one guy i work with had a minor drug offence 15 years ago, and was told he could not get off the boat and to never come back once we left. a dui even showed up after 30 years??

canada used to let anybody, but i guess after years of watching the usa do it were finally gonna follow in your footsteps.

#10 ·
DeepSouthBuilder said:
It won't apply to people with a first-time or youthful offender plea to a misdemeanor. It also won't apply to people that did a pre-trial plea to a misdemeanor or participated in drug court. This is for people with a conviction or felony plea. That's assuming you make it through the penalty phase without incident. The lesson: Take the best deal they offer. If you choose to fight it and lose you're screwed for life.
umm - actually I don't think that is the case - I have a buddy who has nearly been turned back at the airport every year for a drunk & disorderly - which is hardly a felony - - he was forced to pay a couple hundred bucks "processing fee" and allowed in each time - it's time consuming, expensive and lame
I also know of someone turned back for a misdemeanor possession charge at the border

my understanding is that Canada is not only file-sharing with the US post 9/11 - but that their increased rejection is in direct response to the US getting VERY harsh with foreigners attempting to enter from Canada - sort of a tit-for-tat thing

btw - my buddy has found that there is some sort of certificate of rehabilitation that one can get that shows one has gone though everything with the courts - and not get turned away - so those of you concerned should look into that...

#12 ·
macrider said:
umm - actually I don't think that is the case - I have a buddy who has nearly been turned back at the airport every year for a drunk & disorderly - which is hardly a felony - - he was forced to pay a couple hundred bucks "processing fee" and allowed in each time - it's time consuming, expensive and lame
I also know of someone turned back for a misdemeanor possession charge at the border

my understanding is that Canada is not only file-sharing with the US post 9/11 - but that their increased rejection is in direct response to the US getting VERY harsh with foreigners attempting to enter from Canada - sort of a tit-for-tat thing

btw - my buddy has found that there is some sort of certificate of rehabilitation that one can get that shows one has gone though everything with the courts - and not get turned away - so those of you concerned should look into that...
Did he plea to it or recieve a conviction?

#13 ·
Canadians have had this issue at american borders for a while, moreso post 9/11 (blech, I hate saying that)

My girlfriend does a lot of runs for his driving company across the line with railroad workers. he's one of only a handful of nearly 30 guys who can cross the border. most are simple DUI's from decades ago.

this is is just bringing the system parallel to american standards due to pointless polical pressure

#14 ·
DeepSouthBuilder said:
you are wrong.......mild offenses like stealing small items are included

#15 ·
Here's a link to CIC Canada on the subject of admissibility http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/inadmissibility.html

And another for faq's for criminal inadmissibility restrictions for entry to Canada:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/faq-inadmissibility.html

We have moral turpitude restrictions on entry to the US and a lot of others, too. We're a bit spoiled by the ease of certain border crossings in the jet travel age. They are border crossings, though, and the laws are usually pretty protective, whether or not they're currently being enforced strictly or not is another question.

#16 ·
macrider said:
Mac nailed it. If you've been convicted or had a plea agreement in the states, you can apply for rehabilitation status in Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/conviction.html
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM1444E.PDF

Canucks aren't totally unreasonable.

EBX

Edit: bikinfoolferlife just beat me to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.