Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

taking DH tires off a DH rim

883 views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  elohttub 
#1 ·
All i can say is wow, an hour of my life and countless scrapes and cusses later.....never switching tires again....

#4 ·
If you work the bead into the center of the rim all the way around before you pop it off in one spot it's a LOT easier. I can always do it with my hands. I haven't carried a tire iron in years, even for tubeless and road bike tires. I worked in a shop for about a year and did this on every tire. I've tried combos that people complain about being extremely tight and have never had a problem.

#6 ·
yeah, i had the knife out at one point. def helped after i made sure the bead wasn't sticking to the rim....now i need to figure out why my cranks creake.....old cranks or old BB...either way its $$$ i dont have, any suggestions on stopping creaky cranks, maybe a nice white grease bath on spindle arms?

#17 ·
;aldksjfalk;sdfj

Get these: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/11...s/Park-TL-5-Heavy-Duty-Tire-Lever-Set-(2).htm
Taking DH/FR tires off was the most frustrating thing in the world until I got these. Screw technique, and plastic, and blah blah blah. With these you never have to think twice about it. No exaggeration, they take no effort at all. And they can scratch your rims if you are not intelligent enough to put something behind them. If you are really smart you will superglue a piece of rubber on the side that touches your rim.

#18 ·
Park DH Tire Levers.
After ruining my hands trying to wrestle a Kenda Blue Groove tire onto a Mag 30 Rim, no prob with the Park levers.

Just be careful you don't pinch the tube.
To those who can wrestle them on with just their bare hands - I salute you.
Who cares about scratching your rims? It ain't a car show.

#21 ·
yeah...i used a screwdriver ....sort of scratched my ex729s a bit but meh..rocks will do it if i dont....as far as the chainring bolts are concerned....they are tight, and the pedals are greased...my roomate claims ignorance on my crank pullers...anyone in denver have some ISIS pullers and a RF BB tool?? THANKS!

#23 ·
Screwdrivers are a great way to pinch tubes.

As I said, some rim/tire combos are incredibly difficult. I remember there was a set of Hutchinsons mounted on Sun DS rims that everybody in the shop took a try at. I ended up being the one to get the tire on... but the tube had been pinched.

Ever think of your bike shop?

#24 ·
Do yourself a favor and get these...

You will never EVER buy tire levers again. I used to use the Pedro's yellows until I stole these from my buddy. Now I use these all the time. Will never scratch a rim nor will it ever dent one unless you are a complete idiot and fyck the whole process up to begin with. Oh get yourself a jar of Tioga bead wax too. Like Mr. Zog's for your tires but you can't chew it like gum.

http://store.somafab.com/stcotile.html

Soma Steel Core Tire Lever

Sold in pairs only. Slim and trim to fit into today's tighter beads. Steel plate inside so it won't break in today's tighter beads. Reinforced polymer exterior will not mar aluminum rims or pinch tubes like metal tire levers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.