Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

So .. hwat to get for some new tires? Any help appreciated

576 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  klein444 
#1 ·
OK. I bought my rig several years ago. Haven;t even posted here in a few years. The stock Specialized tires have some life left - but since I'm trying to get back into it (riding that is) I wanted to get some new rubber.

In my opinion the bigger the better. Conditions around here run from dry and loose to clay type mud. I also ride alot in woods where there are no trails so I need some float as I ride over loose ground cover leafes etc... This is land in my area that I have permission to ride on.

We have some flint rock and some smooth rock. But I'll mostly be on trails and runnin' free in the woods.

What say you as to the tires?

https://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a249/MagicNumber/DSC00562.jpg

~GOD BLESS~

john

Just for Friday fun
https://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a249/MagicNumber/squirrledrinkingbud.jpg

See less See more
#3 ·
How big can the Shiver handle and what to put on back since I need a 24?

Thanks for the nod towards Michelin 32 - I had forgotten about them (sad I know).

What would you suggest to go on the rear since I need a 24 for the BigHit in back?

Thanks

~GOD BLESS~

john

#4 ·
Michelin 32at when it comes to big tires (2.8 but now slightly smaller then when you rode last)...love that tire...

for the rear run a highroller 2.5...it holds up well....BTW that is the tire combo I rode w/my Big Hit.

#6 ·
Khemical said:
"How big can the Shiver handle"

I run a 2.7 Maxxis Mobster with no problems. Sometimes I'll run a 2.7 Kenda Blue Groove which seems to be a bit bigger than the Maxxis and I can get some tire rub at full compression if my oil level isn't high enough.
set your lower crown higher...I ran the ol' time Michy 2.8 with no problems

#9 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
Michelin 32at when it comes to big tires (2.8 but now slightly smaller then when you rode last)...love that tire...

for the rear run a highroller 2.5...it holds up well....BTW that is the tire combo I rode w/my Big Hit.
+1 on the Highroller (I have a 24x2.7)
there is also a Nev 24x2.5 which is nice and sticky, if you deal with wet roots.

#11 ·
Thanks - Sounds like M&M... and the rifle is just sitting there for the pic -

took the pic to show some one the rifle and I needed a place to hang it. I would agree that it is for slow riding if you plan on annie oakley style...

As for the rubber - sounds like I'll go M&M. Michellen up front and Maxxis in rear.

Thanks for the help on another 'which tire should I get' post!

~GOD BLESS~

john

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.