Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Avid Codes plus Goodridge... Can it be done?

2K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  XSL_WiLL 
#1 ·
I am going to run Codes this year and was wondering if anyone is running Goodridge lines. Talked directly to Goodridge and they do not have information yet as to whether or not their fittings will work on the new Code brakes.

#7 · (Edited)
They are expensive, about $60-$80 per side. I am a heavy rider and I have been running Goodridge with my Saint brakes. No complaints about Saint at all, I have just always run them (Saint + GR lines) and I would like to try something different. I understand the Codes have plenty of power with the standard lines, but I think the Gooodridge lines just help on the hot days with multiple long DH runs stopping my 225 Lbs A$$. I don't know if that makes any sense at all or not.

#8 ·
Well, it makes sense. I'm not a light guy neither, I weigh about 95kilos in full gear (slightly less than you) and I have no problem with stopping my bike with std Codes. I found Saints much weaker than Codes, so you might have a little surprise when you finally got them.

#10 ·
coldawg said:
I read somewhere that avids rely on the stock lines for modulation, somethign about them expanding a bit.

With the goodridge lines power could be increased at the cost of modulation?

Not sure tho
Good point! I am by no means married to Goodridge lines at the expense of modulation in the slower technical sections. I work hard enough not going OTB anyways and I certainly don't need any help from my brakes to make it worse.

#12 ·
Braided lines are a bunch of hype. They're flexible and bling, that's about it. Most benefits felt are the result of a much needed bleed. Yes, they expand slightly less when NEW. But the gain is marginal at best, and it'll expand after some use.

Braided lines will not aid in heat dissipation.

#13 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
Braided lines are a bunch of hype. They're flexible and bling, that's about it. Most benefits felt are the result of a much needed bleed. Yes, they expand slightly less when NEW. But the gain is marginal at best, and it'll expand after some use.

Braided lines will not aid in heat dissipation.
Just curious, (not trying to start a flame war here) if it is just a bunch of hype then why do many Formula 1, CART, IRL, NASCAR etc.. use them. These folks are not so concerned about the bling factor but more about performance. Maybe you are right with regards to bicycles because you are not stopping near the weight. I would have to believe if it is just a bunch of hype they would have a hard time staying in business. So I assume you mean they just are not the right application for bicycles.

By the way, personal experience with Saint brakes with and with out Goodridge lines represented noticeable difference in the feel of the lever. The Goodridge lines provided me with much better feel.

Don't get me wrong, I am not convinced I even need the GR lines with the Code brakes.

#14 ·
jimi1114 said:
Don't get me wrong, I am not convinced I even need the GR lines with the Code brakes.
I really think you should just save your money on the GR lines. without the regular hose flex, they could be way too grabby and really hard to use

you're the same size as I am, I WAS supposed to have a set of Codes by now but they didn't ship either of the sets my LBS ordered :mad: I have no doubt they will be godlike in power out of the box

#15 ·
Karupshun said:
I really think you should just save your money on the GR lines. without the regular hose flex, they could be way too grabby and really hard to use

you're the same size as I am, I WAS supposed to have a set of Codes by now but they didn't ship either of the sets my LBS ordered :mad: I have no doubt they will be godlike in power out of the box
Agree... I am going to go with the OEM lines. After all the feedback I think I will be just fine with that set-up. The last thing I wnat are on/off brakes and blow $100 for GR lines.

Thanks for the feedback.

#16 · (Edited)
jimi1114 said:
Just curious, (not trying to start a flame war here) if it is just a bunch of hype then why do many Formula 1, CART, IRL, NASCAR etc.. use them. These folks are not so concerned about the bling factor but more about performance. Maybe you are right with regards to bicycles because you are not stopping near the weight. I would have to believe if it is just a bunch of hype they would have a hard time staying in business. So I assume you mean they just are not the right application for bicycles.

By the way, personal experience with Saint brakes with and with out Goodridge lines represented noticeable difference in the feel of the lever. The Goodridge lines provided me with much better feel.

Completely different application. You're comparing apples to oranges.

Part of it may be psychological, most of it is the result of a fresh and proper bleed.

#17 ·
Goodridge lines make a significant impact to braking performance on Bicycle hydraulic brakes.

I am an excellent mechanic with plenty of experience, and I have never heard anything but positive reviews. They have the additional benefit of being enormously more flexible and durable than stock lines.

There's always some intractable detractor for anything you can think of...

#20 ·
Anyways, the point of the day is "ride Codes on standard cables". Avid says that they had to develope new cables for Codes, so I think there might be a hidden idea in their quite suprising flex. Goodrigde are great for Shimano brakes, maybe for Juicy, but you don't need them for Code. Unless you want a I/O brake :p

#21 ·
I wrote a review of Goodridge lines for my site and I came to the conclusion that even if the performance is not improved, they're still worth the outlay (which lets be honest, in the realm of mtb components is minimal) just for the flexibility, style (and weight savings :p ).

Yes it could have been the fresh bleed (as I mentioned), but I'm also convinced that the performance was improved thanks to the lines so I'll never run brakes without them now.

#23 ·
Ace1 said:
I wrote a review of Goodridge lines for my site and I came to the conclusion that even if the performance is not improved, they're still worth the outlay (which lets be honest, in the realm of mtb components is minimal) just for the flexibility, style (and weight savings :p ).

Yes it could have been the fresh bleed (as I mentioned), but I'm also convinced that the performance was improved thanks to the lines so I'll never run brakes without them now.
I think the single best thing about GR lines - excepting when used on Hayes where they make a HUGE impact IMO/E - is the durability! I have done some awful things to them that had me brakeless on stock lines; even rode for a month with a bent master cylinder - the fittings just crushed the mc instead of cracking or snapping off! (On a set of Mag's)

#24 ·
Still, compare the amount of force that a car brake generates to that of a bike.

And yes, when new, the braided lines do expand less. After a good amount of use, they will expand as well. Perhaps not as much as OE hoses, but IMO the difference is fairly minimal.

As I said, the main factors that would convince me to buy braided lines are flexibility and bling.

I hate the Goodridge proprietary fittings. The hose and the fittings are pretty pricey, and I've seen a couple of rusted fittings (SS shouldn't rust). Galfer and Hope are cheaper and offer the same advantages.

#25 ·
Well - they are too expesive, but wtf isnt these days?

Goodridge, Hope, Galfer - all gravy. I do think the Hope's look like a visual only improvement, the lines seem much lower qual than the Galfer or Goodridge.

But then I am a 'Hope hater' to begin with, and feel that Hope is an expensive and finicky Hayes! This year its Avid everywhere. (And a pair of Louise FR - non with GR at this time.)

#26 ·
Huck Banzai said:
I think the single best thing about GR lines - excepting when used on Hayes where they make a HUGE impact IMO/E - is the durability! I have done some awful things to them that had me brakeless on stock lines; even rode for a month with a bent master cylinder - the fittings just crushed the mc instead of cracking or snapping off! (On a set of Mag's)
Very true. I was always kinking my OE Hope lines but since the Goodridges have been on, not once - it's just not possible!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.