Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Whats your favorite tire combination?

2K views 42 replies 31 participants last post by  jamesdc 
#1 ·
I was looking for some new tires and I thought this might help my search. I don't have any because I have only ridden one set of actual downhill tires. Thanks for any input.

#6 ·
my favorite tire is the 32AT 2.8 tire by Michelin, but it is too wide....wish they would make it 2.5....with that being said I like the 24AT by Michelin(2.5).....Michelin last long and grip pretty good too, plus they are tough and they seal real good for tubeless...negative of the 24 AT is they roll slower then most tires......highrollers roll fast but they slide out if they are a front tire...I like a highroller on the rear, but it doesn't seal well for tubeless.....Minion same thing for sealing for tubeless but grips good in the corners so I like that as a front tire

overall I run the Michelin 24AT because they seal real well for tubeless and then I can rotate front tio back when the back tire wears down, but like I said above ...I would like to see the 32AT in a 2.5

#7 ·
The Michellin Comp 32 has the most traction of any tire out there hands down.
All-around Nevegals, Highrollers, or Big Earls are my favorite. I recently got hooked up by Kenda so I'll be running Nevegals from now on.
I like to run the same tire F/R so I can rotate them to get more life.
I hate chunders.

#8 ·
Michi Comp 32 2.8" (really more of a 2.6-2.7" in recent production) in front, cut Comp 24 in back if you want to slide easily or Comp 16 in the back if you want to keep the back end hooked up better in corners. I've been using this setup for over a year with no complaints except that they both punctured in the tread when I had a tubeless setup. The walls could be a TINY bit thicker. Never pinched out though and they do last a while.

On a whim a couple months ago I threw on the Specialized Chunder 2-ply with the 50 compound and they friggin ROCK. They roll super fast, hold a line great, and are super predictable in corners. I only have the 2.3"s on my DH right now which are more like an honest 2.5" but I'm gonna try the bigger ones next. They're kinda everything the High Rollers should be but aren't. The compound I'm using barely shows any wear at the moment too after over 2 months of regular use. Awesome....

#9 ·
this thread comes just in time. i am returning from working away and when i get home in a couple o days the first thing i am gonna do is buy a set o tyres. i havent tried many and i made mistakes with both. it seems the high roller in the rear and minion up front is a popular combo. i plan on sticking a 2.35 single ply high roller in the back and was wondering if it was neccessary to go 2.5 minion or 2.35 in the front. it will go on my hardtail till my fully build is complete. i dont want too much weight as i dont need the strength at the mo. if i like this combo i will look at a heavier duty set later.
also like the sound of the panaracer cinders. anyone had experience with these or are the maxxis a totaly different beast? general AM use but need too stop washing out in the corners.

#12 ·
I'm running a set of 2.35 Maxxis Ignitor USTs on my freeride bike, set up tubeless, and have been really impressed. Switching to tubeless and swapping out a set of Kenda 2.5 Blue Groove/Kollossals saved over 5 pounds (with DH tubes incl.), and my wheels roll significantly faster, accelerate much better in everything except the loosest terrain, and hold surprisingly well, especially when cornering. They have held up fine on the biggest drops I've done this winter (about 6'), and didn't burb even when bombing some very long stair sets with embarrasingly low tire pressure (probably about 15psi...I topped off immediately afterward of course). The most impressive thing was how well they hooked up in ice and snow, as that is where they have seen the most action lately. Almost impossible to slip out...this becomes a problem when I ride any other tires, as I expect them to perform similarly...I have been super happy with these tires so far. Great if you are going to be doing more general all-mountain/freeride stuff instead of lift-service riding.

My favorite tire of all-time is the Panaracer Fire-XC 2.1 UST. I have run that for XC/trail riding for 3 years or so now, and no complaints, except for deep mud. They last forever too. Not a freeride tire though...

#19 ·
2.5 max - regardless (usually Maxxis 2.5!)

Minion set is groovy

Mobster Front, High Roller Rear is schwingtizzy

Michy Comp 16's for muddy or very loose stuff (I like the 2.2's - the sidewalls are illy burly)

Nevegals are pretty good all around - a bit overhyped, but very good.

Theres others - but I keep coming back to the Maxxis and those Michy's.

Trying new 3c Minions next (going on a new build)

#21 ·
I overlooked the Fire DH Pro.

I am flabbergasted (Pardon my vanity) that they offer every other fire tire in all black but the DH. As evidenced by my contributons to the sticker thread and others, I dont like random or otherwise clashy things (IMO) on my bike and I despise that red sidewall so much so that I refrain from using them.

That said - they are amazing tires. They stick in any conditions - maybe silly for haaaaaaaaard pack, but otherwise a fantastic performer.

Very pinch resistant, very tough sidewalls, carcass is flexy and grabs objuects, sheds mud fantastically, grips roots and rocks with aplomb. AND they last forever!!

DOwnside is the red, they are 2.3 only - but still killer!, and did I mention the stupid red sidewall?

Enough with the branding everyone!! Ick!

................rant..........................spent.................

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.