Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Five.Ten Impacts

2K views 47 replies 25 participants last post by  DeepSouthBuilder 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with the Five.Ten Impacts. I've been riding clipless for several years now, but want to switch to platforms for doing tricks and being able to bail easier in mid jump. So, does anyone have an opinion on them?

#10 ·
They arent a hiking or climbing shoe; also not a kayak/water shoe.

They're made by a climbing/water shoe company, but are not an adaptation of their other models. They dont market it for any other segment. There IS another shoe they make that some like to ride in that is marketed as a cross purpose shoe.

What were they made for?

#11 ·
They were originally a climbing "approach" shoe. They were outdated for that use about the time Five.Ten sold rubber to Intense for tires. So they took advantage of the opportunity and changed the color to make them more "aggro" and quit marketing them to climbers. The original bike version was the Intense team shoe in a red color-scheme (I have a pair). If you look really hard there are some neon yellow and green pairs out there that were around 8-9 years before they ever considered using them for bikes.

#12 ·
They may have been inspired by the Approach, but the production Intense shoes, and the Impacts are unique designs produced specifically for riding.

They were not repurposed or rebadged Approach's!

5.10 makes a variety of shoes, others are used 'out of purpose' and they have the tennie which I know some riders like due to the firmer compound.

#14 · (Edited)
Approach is a category of shoes not a model. Take it or leave it I've seen dozens of old pairs at climbing areas (back in the day). I've even compared my Intenses side-by-side with the "climbing" version (can't remember what they were called) they were identical except for color. That doesn't mean they aren't the best flat-pedal shoes made. Hell, I wear mine as an approach shoe all the time. Brilliant marketing though.
The problem with them as approach shoe was that the last just wasn't tight enough to work in technical terrain.
BTW I occasionally use my Guide Tennies for riding also. They don't have a harder compound. In fact it's a softer rubber. The sole is stiffer.

Here's a link to the yellow ones: http://www.rockclimbing.com/gear/Detailed/1108.html
They were called the Impact. Check out how much the reviewer paid for them on sale from a climbing shop. Great marketing.

#20 ·
I think the "impacts" actually came from the "mountain master" which is what I've actually been riding in lately. They are old and beat but wow is the grip good. I also use these as my everyday and approach shoe. The laces were offset so they are really far from the chain. My favorite shoe of all time, but alas they are discontinued and I can't find new ones anywhere.

On that note, how would the "impacts" do as an everyday shoe? It would be great to have another shoe that I could wear to work, go ride at lunch, and go climb a peak on the weekend in. My work is informal. Are the soles stiff? Do they have reasonable support for hiking around in?

#21 ·
They are comfy and well padded. They do have some feel though. The sole is moderately flexible especially after their broken in. I wear mine every day. They are the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn by far. I hop around in em' like a pair of approach shoes. Great for sticking to the edges of curbs/stairs and making precision "urban walking" moves. All four pairs of mine are still kinda wearable. It's kinda rediculous really having the four lined up in my closet. I don't like the look of the new ones as much and I may be stocking up soon. If you're used to approach shoes you'll love em'. They are an "everyday approach shoe". Some people with wide feet complain but you probably know how Five.Ten shoes fit if you climb (they are all based on one guy's foot).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.