Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

opinions on powder coat colors for frame and wheels

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  SHIVER ME TIMBERS 
#1 ·
so im going to powder coat my frame and I really like the idea of baby blue. also im wondering if i should leave the swingarm black or if i should have it baby blue as well? I made a quick photo edit of what it would look like, so this a rough.

now I was thinking that it might be cool to paint or powder coat my wheels as well. I was thinking white of course. another quick photo edit

I think that the baby blue and white would look good, I am conserned about the white wheels getting messed up over time though. also im thinking that i might just be easier to paint them instead of powder coating them because i could paint them while still built.

anyway what does everyone think? any other color schemes that would look good?

See less See more
#8 ·
Hardtails Are Better said:
If you do it yourself it isn't expensive. :D
Some of us might have all the tools necessary :D ... but I doubt he does. He also might need reaming/facing tools if he wants to do it right when he gets it back from the powdercoaters.

Most people don't have a headset press, bearing removal/installation tools, etc. let along the knowledge to do it.

#9 ·
well seeing as how i work at a shop , so ya i know what im doin and i have ALL the tools needed (it not hard to do anyway) and i have a hook up with a powder coat shop so its only going to cost me around $100 for the frame, thats worth it to me.

here is all baby blue

#12 ·
well this frame is a haro x7 and we do so much business with haro that IF there is a problem i not to worried

I just still trying to figure out what i want coated and not, i might just hold off on the wheels and do the frame first. and the more i look at that the full baby blue it grows on me...id still like input from anyone though

#13 ·
njhcx4xlife said:
I'm feeling the black swingarm with white wheels. The white wheels will hold up fine...it is still powdercoat like black rims.
most rims are anodized black. it holds up better, as it is a part of the actual material. I had a rim painted, and the paint began to crack and flake off in places after about a year, especially if I had to use a tire lever. It wasn't a professional paintjob or anything, but it wasn't too shabby. anodized is the best treatment for any Al bike parts in my opinon...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.