Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What Roco?

528 views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  njhcx4xlife 
#1 ·
I have a Rocky Mountain Switch. Which shock would be better for me, the world cup or tst r? Also, how much extra is the ti spring? Do either of these shocks have a platform similiar to the dhx pro-pedal?

Thanks.

#2 ·
The tst has pedal platform similar to the dhx and the world cup doesn't. It depends on if you are going to pedal a lot on the bike, then go with a tst. If it is strictly dh then world cup it is. I have the wc and wouldn't want to have to pedal it uphill. I don't think the ti spring is available yet but I'm not sure and I also think you can run an rcs ti spring or a manipoo ti spring...can anyone back me up on this one?

#4 ·
Pretty close to what NJHC said... I have both the RC (same as WC)on my highline, and a TST-R on my trail bike.

We frequently climb 1hr+ to access our fave downhills, the Roco RC does great on the highline. I just crank up the compression damping for climbs then back it off to 3 clicks for the DH. No bobbing, long as you stay seated. On really steep pitches there's a little squat, and if you pedal out of the saddle like a monkey it might bob a little bit. But overall it's fine, and the downhill performance is straight-up stunning. If you aren't in a hurry to get uphill and do mostly fire-road climbing, don't hesitate to go with the roco WC.

The TST-R is perfect for all-mountain type stuff... If you do any XC riding, singletrack climbing, or just general trail riding as opposed to strictly FR/DH then go with the TST-R. It's nearly as plush as the RC on downhills, but has lock-out and firmer settings too. The only trade-off is, you don't get the ability to really fine-tune it's DH performance like you do with the RC.

I woudn't bother with a Ti Spring, tons of money and you will only save 100-200 grams. Better off to shave weight somewhere else. You can run manitou swinger sprinsg though- I do on my TST.

#5 ·
I got bought a 7.5 x 2.0 Roco TST R and a 550lbs steel coil including shipping for $290 from Downshiftcycles.com which is a pretty unbeatable deal. This shock is for my 2005 Switch. I think the TST R is pretty clearly a better fit than the Roco WC because I doubt you're doing pure shuttle/DH runs.

I looked into the Ti spring option since I saw that this 550lbs x 2.0 Ti spring was listed as being available on Marzocchi's website but I talked to someone from Marzocchi and they said they are in talks with someone to produce it but currently they are not available and it'll be atleast a few months. You could get an RCS spring for whatever they cost ($250?) but that is a lot of dough for the weight savings.

#9 ·
freerider06 said:
yea i agree i plan on getting the tst, i would much rather have a pedal platform in many dh conditions...Vince the bike looks nasty btw!
I really had to think who on here knows my name then I checked your profile and realized it is the little brother nobody wanted. HAHA. When you getting a roco? I bet your ride is looking sick with the totem. If you think my whip looks sick wait till you ride it.

#10 ·
njhcx4xlife said:
Thanks freerider. Hey FM, how many "clicks" of compression are you running on the rc? I'm still t rying to get mine set up and you are about the same size. Thanks man.
I am liking 3-4 clicks of compresison for the DH stuff, with a 450lb spring and fairly quick rebound. Just enough to keep it from blowing through travel on baby-head rocks and stuff. Man it felt really perfect for this kind of stuff the other day- and still nice and progressive on drops... :thumbsup:

#12 ·
njhcx4xlife said:
so you are saying if I turn the knob all the way it will go counter clockwise (which would give me the least compression dampening I think) and then go back 3-4 clicks?
exactly- unscrew it all the way, then screw it back in 4 clicks.

Hey is your slowest rebound setting really slow? Mine was faster than I liked, I found that by using the recessed flat-head screw on the opposite side of the rebound adjuster (might be covered with a sticker)t o adjust the rebound, I freed up 2-3 clicks of adjustment that weren't available previously...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.