Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2.35 or 2.5

2K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  Freerydejunky 
#1 ·
hey, i have a santacruz chameleon with 2.35 kenda nevegals. i really like them but they are worn, so i'm getting another 2.35 nevegal for the rear, there is no way a bigger tire will fit, but for the front i am thinking about getting a 2.5 kenda blue grove. will the 2.5 blue grove be overkill with the 2.35 rear tire?

thanks
colin

it would be really cool if somebody could take a picture of a 2.35 nevegal and a 2.5 blue grove next to eachother so i could see the size difference.

#6 ·
Is that a setup for jumping?

What about a downhill setup? Can I go with a pair of 2.5s on a hardtail?

I am thinking of buying Maxxis Minion DH tires, btw.

#11 ·
davec113 said:
I'd go w/ the new triple compound version
Bling!!!

I got a set of DHF/DHR 2.5's here waiting to go on the VPF in progress (wheels bars and pedals and Im done....)

I love Maxxis tires (I like other stuff too) - the way they ride - sidewalls - the sticky icky 40a/42a oooooo

I am looking forward to a set that sticks but when you carve don't peel shoulder knobs off!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT

Wheels by Wednesday - need to find something slippery and off camber ASAP.

#12 ·
what do you mean by holding traction SMT?

In my case, I have 1.95s on my bike, and I want bigger 2.5s on it.

can anybody please tell me the difference of the Minion DHF and DHR?

#13 ·
ok, maybe i'll get a 2.5 nevegal, but i can't put a 2.5 in the back cuz the tire will rub the frame. so would a Minion DHF 2.5 and a High Roller 2.35 be a good setup? i know u can't tell me if it would be better or not cuz every place is different, but they are both kinda equal? and the tires sizes are about the same?

colin

#16 ·
#1ORBUST said:
What he is saying if your 2.35's arn't slippling in corners, don't go up a size.

I was riding 2.35 Maxxis Minion red stripes F, Bling Bling R, and was all over the place, 2.5 super tacky's next time.
Thanks for the explanation. i'm still very much new to all this, and I'm still learning everyday.

How about a Minion 2.5 front and 2.5 Swampthing rear? will it work?

#17 ·
suicidebomber said:
Thanks for the explanation. i'm still very much new to all this, and I'm still learning everyday.

How about a Minion 2.5 front and 2.5 Swampthing rear? will it work?
Swampthing is a mud-specific tire

#18 ·
Ahhhh... So the swampthing is best used for muddy conditions eh? I might as well get a pair of 2.5s when the rains come...

BTW, the shop owner I asked about for tires told me that since I ride a hardtail and will go DH (but most likely Super D until I get a DH frame), I should go with a thinner rear tire, a 2.35 perhaps, with a 2.5 front. But when I checked his bike, his hardtail FR has Nokian 2.6s on both front and rear.

What are the pros and cons of riding a thinner rear tire compared to both tires having the same width?

#19 · (Edited)
Your shop owner doesn't know a whole lot if he running those tires. I have a pair and they suck. They were nice 7 or 8 years ago.

IMO you cannot push a hardtail hard enough to ever need anything more than a decent 2.35. You will be giving up a little in terms of rolling resistance. Not to mention you will gain a lot of rolling weight. The jump from 2.35 to 2.5 generally means you will also have to run a much heavier tube also. We're talking about a half pound or more each wheel. Unless it's slick where you ride upping the tire size will do nothing for performance. The biggest place you see an improvement in traction from a bigger tire is braking traction and the nevegals already have tons. Run the 2.35s. I BTW run 2.7s on my FS AND 2.35s on my HT. I like bigger tires when you need them. You live in california. It doesn't rain there.

When you're descending the front tire has a lot more stopping power because it's pretty well planted. When people run a larger front tire it's generally to get a little extra traction for stopping without the added rotating weight in the rear. Rotating weight (wheels and tires (especially rims and tires)) has more of an effect on acceleration and overall performance than weight anywhere else on the bike.

A bigger tire also needs a wider rim to be stable.

#22 ·
I don't live in California, in fact, I don't live in the US.

I live in the Philippines, and the mountain where the bikers go (and where I live and study) has a combination of volcanic soil and slippery rocks. It is slippery, especially when it rains, and the trails have a lot of stones and rocks.

There may be some sense in running 2.5s, but I decided to know what more experienced people think. After all, I'm still green at this.

And another thing: I also read in this forum (i think) about the Maxxis 2.5s are closer to being actually 2.35s, am I right?

#23 ·
suicidebomber said:
I don't live in California, in fact, I don't live in the US.

I live in the Philippines, and the mountain where the bikers go (and where I live and study) has a combination of volcanic soil and slippery rocks. It is slippery, especially when it rains, and the trails have a lot of stones and rocks.

And another thing: I also read in this forum (i think) about the Maxxis 2.5s are closer to being actually 2.35s, am I right?
You didn't start this thread. The OP lives in cali. If you live in the Philippines then you MIGHT could use the extra traction. I stand by my assertion that a hardtail couldn't take advantage of the larger tire. I've ridden my hardtail in 8" of fresh snow, mud, roots, and rocks in a place that is one inch of rain a year short of being a rainforest and haven't once wanted a larger tire. (I have Highrollers on my HT)

Maxxis tires are indeed a hair under and Kendas run a little big.

tacubaya said:
Steering improves IMHO with a bigger tire up front as it rolls though everything (with a nice fork). All people I see run both tires the same or a bigger up front and I WONDER WHY... :madman:
Do you use a larger rear tire? Most people don't lose traction with their front first when cornering

#24 ·
What about the Maxxis Mofo? I know they don't make it anymore, but I might be able to get one in the right size (2.35), is it any good, or should I just go with the Minions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.