Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Is there really anything wrong w/ HFX 9 brakes ?

892 views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  AaronD 
#1 ·
I always read posts where users bash Hayes HFX 9 disc brakes. Is there something really wrong w/ the design ? I currently use Mags on my FR / DH rig w/o any issues and want a set of brakes for my trail / AM rig - HFX 9's are priced right. Thanx

#2 ·
No problems here. Came stock on Gemini 8" rotors, worked flawless. I was also worried about the brakes when I bought the bike, because of what I had read.
I also have Juicys on another bike and have the pulsating problems, I would not hesitiate to buy the 9's as a replacement.

#3 ·
I think they're probably fine for an AM rig, but I don't think I'd use them again for a freeride/downhill bike. There are just so many better options out there... I used HFX-9s for 2 years and thought they were fine. However, I then had a Juicy 5 and Saints, and I will never go back to the HFX for downhill.

G
#6 ·
the can be set up to work quite good, but thats the problem, they dont stay that way.

Probably one of the most unreliable brakesets on the market.

EDIT: you can usually find a good set of used mags for a great price.

#7 ·
Juicies take a bit of initial setup, but performance-wise, they destroy the Nines, and outshine the Mags as well.

The Nines have little to modulation and quite a few reliability issues (especially when you start pushing them hard).

The Mags are a time-tested design.

#9 ·
I have a set of 9s on my AM bike, and another on my FR/DH rig. The price was right at the time, and they haven't let me down after a full season of riding. Obviously there are better brakes out there but that doesn't mean that the 9s are horrible and that you would be better off with a coaster brake. If you learn to set them up right and don't get your panties in a bunch because the caliper needs to be realigned every ten rides or so I don't think you will be disappointed. Brake of choice for DH racing, no. Good bang for the buck, in my opinion, yes. I have never ridden Mags, so the question is probably whether Mags are better than 9s.

#13 ·
I have Juicy 5's on my Bullitt now, and they feel pretty soft, but I do like them.

I had 9's on my DJ bike, and they will stay there. I haven't had any issues with them, and won't be trading them. The only REAL complaint I heard about them is either they are full on or full stop. there is no real modulation, that is why many people love the Avids or Maguras better.

BTW Maguras have the problem that they need to get super-over heated to properly bed and grip. If you dont really over-heat them on the first few rides, they tend to be pretty 'soft' and the pads wear much more quickly.

Anyhow... the Hayes I have haven't had any problems for 2 years now, so either I got lucky, or I havent pushed them as hard as you guys... which I doubt as I am a Clyde.

#15 ·
I ran some 9s on my DH rig for about 2 years. Not even red loc-tite could keep my reach adjustment from slipping. Kinda annoying when your trying to drop almost 2000 vertical feet in 3/4 of a mile or so... Stay away. Only brakes I would reccomend to anyone is Hopes and Juicys.

#16 ·
Im almost positive that Hayes made changes to the newer 9's that eliminated the master cylinder issues. I cannot remember what year this took place. I'm unsure if you can retro fit older 9's. Give Randy @ Hayes Tech Support a phone call. You can probably find him in the brake section of this message board. For your second bike, its a good brake choice. Just investigate the newer master cylinder subject.

#17 ·
They are OK brakes; set them up well and treat them well and they do the job.

They are pretty powerful, but dont drag the brakes or you'll boil.

As said - powerful - but modulation is not in their vocabulary.

They are notoriuys for blowing master cylinders.

I have 3 (3 brakes, not 3 sets) - I'd much rather use something else generally, but 99% of the stuff we use - regardless of the banter that goes on in forums - is good shtuf!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.